Menu
FastInternetPlz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New Here

Because I have waited so long for Virgin to fit cable in my area, when it is finally here will it be at great potential? I defiantly want to get the 200 gaming package because of no traffic management, streaming is a dream of mine I have had for a long time and when I can finally do it I will be so happy, also I will be happy when I can upload my content to Youtube so much faster than I can right now, because its so painfully slow at this moment in time Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Here

Calm down... your dreams may be fulfilled, or you may wake up in the middle of a nightmare...

if its a new area try and persuade your neighbours not to get it so that you can have all the bandwidth uncontended to yourself Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
FastInternetPlz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If I persuade my neighbours not to get it, then our area will not get the service lol

Thankyou for the reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Welcome aboard , I hope your stay is long and pleasant Smiley Happy

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
FastInternetPlz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou Pyrotenax Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Neil_Hines
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, friends, I'm also Newbie and really like this community because here I can get much knowledge about many things it's really great community for me what about you friends?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if upload is your aim BT upload speeds are the same as the 300mbps vm connections are right now
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Welcome. Use the time to read up on how cable broadband works.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Some things to check are that all your network cards and ethernet cables are gigabit capable and that your wifi cards/devices are also capable of handling the speed.

If you've been on ADSL for a long time you may not have noticed that your wifi in your computer is out of date. A lot of modern laptops still ship with slow single stream 802.11n wifi adapters with one antenna. 

To be capable of 200Mb at close range to the hub you need an ac wifi adapter that can connect at around 400Mb, as you get around half the throughput of the connection speed.

For 802.11n wifi, it's 2/3rds of the connection speed. Though most adapters default to 72Mb connection, thus giving you only 48Mb of throughput speed at best.

Often new people come on here and complain about their new 200Mb connection doing only 50Mb over wifi or 85Mb on ethernet and this is often why.

So plenty of things you can do in preparation.

0 Kudos