Menu
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 15 (661 Views)

Re: Gaming settings for the superhub3!

Put the SH3 into modem mode, and buy your own router.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 15 (650 Views)

That's something I might do cus I've read it in various blogs. I still have my old bt router which wasn't fibre optic but I'm assuming that won't work? If I invest in a good router and still have the same problem with the **bleep**ty hub3, I would be out of pocket again. Can't virgin send a hub to replace the very faulty and unpopular hub 3?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 13 of 15 (622 Views)

Hi Tizzmanizz,

Apologies for any issues you're experiencing with Hub 3. We aren't able to offer a previous Hub model for the package you're on. Though if you were to downgrade that might be an option. It would be a good idea for you to discuss the available options with Customer Services (150 free from a VM landline/mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone).Or use a 3rd party router (with modem mode enabled on the Hub as has been suggested.

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 14 of 15 (608 Views)

Jen_A wrote:

Hi Tizzmanizz,

Apologies for any issues you're experiencing with Hub 3. We aren't able to offer a previous Hub model for the package you're on. Though if you were to downgrade that might be an option. It would be a good idea for you to discuss the available options with Customer Services (150 free from a VM landline/mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone).Or use a 3rd party router (with modem mode enabled on the Hub as has been suggested.

All the best,

Would downgrading an existing package not automatically instigate a new 12/18 month contract, something which VM seem reluctant to mention?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 15 of 15 (591 Views)

My Daughter is an avid CSGO and LOL player.

Every time she came back from university she used to complain about lag and disconnections etc, especially in the evenings, so I would balance her to my slow ADSL connection.

I run in modem mode and since the last software update which fixed the port flapping thing, and since a local over utilisation issue was 'fixed' (improved.. I still get low DL rates in the evening, but ping doesn't get worse). I have had no more complaints.

My BQM looks bad, but for some reason it hasn't effected my Daughters gameplay.

My current Virgin BQM

My Broadband Ping - Virgin SH3N

note though that I have a minimum ping of around 10 although average is just below 20

My Broadband Ping - eclipse

And for comparison this is my ADSL connection... notice its minimum ping is around 20... but its a lot more consistent with fewer spikes.

However despite all the spikes, as mentioned CSGO seems a lot less effected by latency then it was before.

BTW I'm using a Draytek 2050 mostly as I need load balancing and some of the other features it has, and I got it for around 30quid on ebay (although did take a while to finally win an auction)

0 Kudos