Menu
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

usb ports not working

tried everything.i have a tower pc unit running windows 10 pro.i used it on a sunday to transfer music from disc to 8 gb usb stick.fast forward to friday 6 days.turned the pc on to transfer more music.and none of the usb ports are detecting storage devices.but the mouse and keyboard work fine.now iv been into device manager and all usb ports are on and updated.could this have anything to do with a intel chipset update.my last resort is a fresh install........maybe not the place post.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: usb ports not working

ps

1. a photo of your device manager screen is worth 1000 words

2. unplug all USB devices in case you have something attached that is misbehaving so badly it is crashing the USB subsystem

3. then its system file checker, followed by uninstall- reboot to reinstall the affected hardware drivers

do you have front and back USB and are they all broken. there's usually more than one USB Controller

see below fro mine _ I have  2 x receivers in front ports for mouse & for Logitech KB, & a USB hard drive at the time of the grab, printer & other stuff via a hub at the back

e.g. here is mineCapture.PNG

cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the intel thing is probably just an update for integrated graphics. If you have a graphics card then that's unlikley to be in use. or to be the cause. but you could get that from intel & DIY install it, rather than leaving it to windows update to do.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/legacy-graphics/graphics-drivers-f...

go to that link & use the automatically detect & install .... option

Drivers and Downloads

the 1607 is one of those epic windows upgrades where you may have an exciting 20 -30 mins staring at  " configuring windows - do not turn off your PC ". if the PC was turned off during that it could have messed up.

A fresh install will almost certainly fix it - but if you want to poke around some more while you are backing up everything that could be wiped in a fresh install, then try the uninstall USB suggestions & let it re-install on a reboot

for clean install - download a fresh copy of Windows toinstall from a Stick or a DVD. - use the microsoft media creator tool. that freshly downloaded version will have all the updates already included, so it bypassed getting stuck on that last updates

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Dell Optiplex 760 chipset drivers can be found here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/optiplex-760/drivers

As has already been noted, Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product but the provided drivers may work with Windows 10. You can see a list of computers which Dell have tested with Windows 10 here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/SLN297954?dgc=IR&cid=290600&lid=5589154#Optiplex

There are other Optiplex chipset drivers available here: http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/dell/laptops-desktops/optiplex-760/556 which appear to provide support for WIndows 10.

It may be worthwhile to download, test and save them for possible future use.

As always, scan any downloads with a reputable AV product before use, and any actions taken are at your own risk.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

system restore it to before you broke it !

0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

tried system restore....been having a closer look this morning again.everything is updated and on.there is yellow triangles next to each port warning though

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

redridinghood wrote:

tried system restore....been having a closer look this morning again.everything is updated and on.there is yellow triangles next to each port warning though

=================================================================================================

Go into 'Device Manager' - find the yellow triangles against USB ports...Right Click>>> Properties .... and select 'Update Driver' --may work?! ... ZvnK ...

redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply.iv been into properties and tried the update drivers and i have even in the same tab uninstalled the driver and reinstalled drivers.the drivers for this are up to date and working

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Could be hardware failure ( USB controller ) but more likely software

if what zvonok says does not work then, as you have nothing to lose...

disconnect all usb devices

uninstall usb controller(s) via device manager

reboot

it should find and clean install the USB controller

you could, before doing that, check for windows corruption by  running system file checker

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How To Use SFC /Scannow

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator, very often referred to as an "elevated" Command Prompt.

Important: For the sfc /scannow command to work properly, it must be executed from an elevated Command Prompt window in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This is not required in previous versions of Windows. 
  2. Once Command Prompt is open, type the following command and then press Enter.
    sfc /scannow

Tip: There's a space between sfc and /scannow. Executing the sfc command with its option next to it (without a space) will result in an error.

why were you thinking chipset update - is that something you did recently - installing the wrong or a bad chipset update could cause your problem

I never mess with chipset updates on w10 devices. if W10 installs & works then leave well alone.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ps

1. a photo of your device manager screen is worth 1000 words

2. unplug all USB devices in case you have something attached that is misbehaving so badly it is crashing the USB subsystem

3. then its system file checker, followed by uninstall- reboot to reinstall the affected hardware drivers

do you have front and back USB and are they all broken. there's usually more than one USB Controller

see below fro mine _ I have  2 x receivers in front ports for mouse & for Logitech KB, & a USB hard drive at the time of the grab, printer & other stuff via a hub at the back

e.g. here is mineCapture.PNG

redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the help.going to have good look now would have replied sooner but my vm superfast broadband decided to go down.so went out

0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

ok cybmole.i think i might have answered my own question.on powering down the pc on that sunday it did say update and shut down.on the friday i turned the pc on then walked away to make a cuppa so i didnt notice that two updates had failed.before i tried what you was helping me with i had look under upates.cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1607 for x64 based systems (kb3213986) failed

intel corporation driver update for Q45/Q43 express chipset.failed

tried to manually update from ms with no luck.maybe a fresh install???

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the intel thing is probably just an update for integrated graphics. If you have a graphics card then that's unlikley to be in use. or to be the cause. but you could get that from intel & DIY install it, rather than leaving it to windows update to do.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/legacy-graphics/graphics-drivers-f...

go to that link & use the automatically detect & install .... option

Drivers and Downloads

the 1607 is one of those epic windows upgrades where you may have an exciting 20 -30 mins staring at  " configuring windows - do not turn off your PC ". if the PC was turned off during that it could have messed up.

A fresh install will almost certainly fix it - but if you want to poke around some more while you are backing up everything that could be wiped in a fresh install, then try the uninstall USB suggestions & let it re-install on a reboot

for clean install - download a fresh copy of Windows toinstall from a Stick or a DVD. - use the microsoft media creator tool. that freshly downloaded version will have all the updates already included, so it bypassed getting stuck on that last updates