Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the go daddy deal - I dont want to renew...

i took the 1 year offer to move away from personal webspace, I was able to get a domain form them for 1 year without offering any card details, but now the renewal nags have started.

can I just ignore them or do I have to take some action to avoid a future bill. do they have any grounds to hold me liable for an auto revew, gievn that i deliberately left that option unticked ?

I am happy to let the domain and the web builder package simply lapse next March

I tried replying to the 1st nag but got this :

Your message to renewals@godaddy.com couldn't be delivered.
The group renewals only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.

is there a better way to extricate myself, or no need to worry about it

( I probably will not be the only one wanting to do this ! )

this is the worrying sentence

If you do not renew your domain(s) during the 12-day Renewal Grace Period, you may incur a fee of £63.61 in addition to the domain renewal fee.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: the go daddy deal - I dont want to renew...

Since you haven't provided any credit/debit card details and only used a one-time code to activate the account, they shouldn't have any way to be able to bill you. It's not surprising that the email doesn't work, most email addresses used for contacting customers by any company are not monitored on the inbound or even take in-bound emails.

You can always contact GoDaddy via their live chat support and tell them to cancel their scheduled auto-renew, that's what I'd do in that situation.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks - the go daddy domain + web builder deal  does not expire till end march 2017 - but the renew-your-domain nags have begun already- 

By say end Feb there will likely to be many others in the same position as me- took it for one year free via a Virgin code  - don't want to pay £60pa ongoing, and are intending to ditch the (no longer free) domain name, so there'll be safety in numbers

It'ss just that when I was looking for hosting services last spring there was one - not go daddy - who are infamous for siccing debt collectors for renewal fees  and penalties onto people who thought they'd cancelled or who had just ignored all the nags.

google this 1&1 internet hosting debt collectors

I will consider logging in and doing a proper take down & cancel when the 12 months is almost up.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

thanks - the go daddy domain + web builder deal  does not expire till end march 2017 - but the renew-your-domain nags have begun already- 

By say end Feb there will likely to be many others in the same position as me- took it for one year free via a Virgin code  - don't want to pay £60pa ongoing, and are intending to ditch the (no longer free) domain name, so there'll be safety in numbers

It'ss just that when I was looking for hosting services last spring there was one - not go daddy - who are infamous for siccing debt collectors for renewal fees  and penalties onto people who thought they'd cancelled or who had just ignored all the nags.

google this 1&1 internet hosting debt collectors

I will consider logging in and doing a proper take down & cancel when the 12 months is almost up.

Hi Cybmole,

I had a 'nag' email from Godaddy today, but I'm letting it go since it's just a freebie I used from VM, and I'm nolonger into website development in HTML, etc. 

You asked why have you been contacted well before the domain expires, this is quite normal - it's standard practice to advise you 3-4 months before the domain payment is due. Always been like that, when I was into running many domains and servers.

1 & 1 have a bad reputation anyway, and they have UK and US offices. Not a company I would recommend personally.

I cannot understand why Virginmedia did not strike a deal with Amazon Web Services (AWS), they do free hosting tiers for 12 months, then it can still be free if you stay within your limits, which isn't too bad. I actually have an AWS account, but for development purposes only, along with another developer, we are coding a new OS under GPL, which can run on a desktop PC or even a website.

Currently we are using GitHub to advance through it's development processes and graphics. We have one website up already using an Alpha version, it's quick now on version 10 alpha, but 12 alpha is much faster - pages are rendered very fast. What makes it different from anything else on the web is that, it will run on anything from a Raspberry Pi 3 to even a XBOX ONE or even a PS4, Linux, Windows, etc. It's main purpose is to be the most advanced OS that will run on any platform.

Regards,

Les.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i actually tried signing up for AWS one time &  I found it extremely complex to get webspace up and running.- not beginner friendly

but then I took it down again.

yes it is free within limits, but if you upset someone enough for them to launch a DDOS attack on your site, or even just malicious continually download from it, you get the bill and there is no obvious way to cap the risk - they have your card details !

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

i actually tried signing up for AWS one time &  I found it extremely complex to get webspace up and running.- not beginner friendly

but then I took it down again.

yes it is free within limits, but if you upset someone enough for them to launch a DDOS attack on your site, or even just malicious continually download from it, you get the bill and there is no obvious way to cap the risk - they have your card details !

Hi cybmole,

You can avoid DDOS attacks by using CDN's like CloudFlare - I never used to bother with DDOS attacks. I did use dual-piping since most browsers can handle it now, which give you a 50% speed render increase.

I find AWS good for IoT projects and further development projects.

Regards,

Les.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i think guys like you who know that they are doing are the target market for AWS,

the webhosting for dummies guys, like me are probably better off with a small fixed cost and lots of hand-holding

now a for dummies solution with AWS as the back end, & some IT guys who actually speak english on the helpdesk ( unlimke the ones Virgin use) - that could be a winner.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

i think guys like you who know that they are doing are the target market for AWS,

the webhosting for dummies guys, like me are probably better off with a small fixed cost and lots of hand-holding

now a for dummies solution with AWS as the back end, & some IT guys who actually speak english on the helpdesk ( unlimke the ones Virgin use) - that could be a winner.

Hi Cybmole,

With AWS, and there are some good plans just for web-hosting - you could easily run any simple HTML, static or dynamic websites. They also have some free scripts, which have been 'beefed-up' on security as well. I guess it depends on your level of coding and language.

When you are developing prototype products, basically you need testing areas on the net - which AWS can allow, I think the one we use allows 2.5 million HTTP_REQ's for 30 days. This is far more than even I require, I deal mostly with IoT (Internet of Things) - so houses can use SMART devices and sensors on a global basis. Amazon even provides some free tools to allow us to send and request data to update our Operating System for IoT.
What this means is any OS will be able to update itself, by checking the server for Updates or Patches, then checks the CHECKSUM and Revision No, before it updates. All of this works on algorithmic key exchange for security.

It may sound difficult, but the custom OS is the main area that we have to get working with all other OS's, currently in the production market.

The website we have online uses a form of rendering in HTML, but uses a modular-based OS coding, similar to Python 2 & 3. Python programming is the language that will eventually become part of the school curriculum.

The so-called VM support in a majority of cases is from the cheap Indian Call Centers, and what they call Technical Support are just people that were "tunnel-tutored" (Basically, they just follow scripts, nothing more!). But on saying that you do get the odd one that will go out of their way to help you, this is rare though - it's only happened to me twice since we were transferred to Virginmedia from the Blueyonder.

Regards,

Les..

0 Kudos