Menu
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 11 (235 Views)

the get it right from a genuine site crackdown

[ Edited ]

here we go round again. I see that Virgin finally noticed Kickass Torrents had moved to kat.how and are now blocking it. only took them 6 months to spot the domain change Smiley Happy

should we now also expect re-runs of You Wouldn't Steal a Car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CkJgHKEY8

images.jpg

out of curiosity is there a list somewhere of all the currently blocked sites,  to see if any others have just been added ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 11 (227 Views)

Re: the get it right from a genuine site crackdown

It's more likely that a new court order was issued to block access to kat.  Unless the court order specifically says that the ISP must keep itself up to date with any name changes and block any future domains found to be owned by Kick Ass Torrents, (a judgement that would be unlikely IMHO).

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 11 (225 Views)

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Message 4 of 11 (221 Views)

Morning!

Nothing to do with Get it right... which is an educational campaign.

The original KAT site is number three in our list of blocked sites which we update whenever new sites are added at the request of the courts.

If a blocked site moves to a new address, then in these cases they are usually subject to the original court order, and therefore a new addition to the list isn't necessary as they are, to all intents and purposes, the same site.

Hope that clears it up.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11 (219 Views)

kat.how was blocked a couple of days ago, same time as the get it right campaign appeared in news stories, I wondered if there was a link - maybe the campaign issued a fresh list to ISPs, or does the list have to come via a court order.  I guess the answers lie in the relevant legislation if I can find a link to that.

it's a pity that no one adds carrot to stick by saying the good news is we have upped the TVA device limits, added HD streaming..... we dream on

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Message 6 of 11 (212 Views)

cybmole wrote:

kat.how was blocked a couple of days ago, same time as the get it right campaign appeared in news stories, I wondered if there was a link - maybe the campaign issued a fresh list to ISPs, or does the list have to come via a court order.  I guess the answers lie in the relevant legislation if I can find a link to that.

it's a pity that no one adds carrot to stick by saying the good news is we have upped the TVA device limits, added HD streaming..... we dream on

Looks like we cross-posted:

There is no link - Get it Right has been running this campaign for a couple of months now; and all blocks of this nature come via Court Order.

More details on blocked site court orders

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11 (203 Views)

so the court order does not give URLs

It says you must block e.g. Kickass torrents, but finding the matching dot suffix(es) is left as an exercise for the ISP

& so pirate bay could simply change their name to notthepirate.bay ? but I guess they prefer to retain their brand identity Smiley Happy

it's all a bit whack-a-mole

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 11 (195 Views)

All either a bit disingenuous or poorly informed IMHO

The ACTUAL state of play is the suffix IS specified in the court order. In an unprecedented move the court left the blocklist open, so "interested parties" can apply to have additional domains/sub domains blocked as they appear. Hence the "whack a mole" game.

ISP's have a duty to block ANY site added to the list, which is how Torrentfreak got blocked. As per usual with DMCA style takedowns, the burden of proof is very low.

Net Neutrality be dammed.

Interesting that the companies pushing this are largely American (not referring to LG there- they have no choice but to block the listed sites) - but the American courts laughed and threw the SAME legislation out as clearly its an infringement of first amendment rights.

Great to be British- the most open democracy this side of North Korea. 

Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11 (191 Views)

[ Edited ]

so, out of curiosity, who's to " blame"  for kat.how staying unblocked ( by Virgin)  for about 3 months. It seems the system does not work too well.

I am pretty sure that domain move was late last year.

and will Virgin offer any legal way to watch the next Games of Thrones season ( beginning July 2017) ? - I doubt it 

Superuser
Message 10 of 11 (174 Views)

[ Edited ]

cybmole wrote:

so, out of curiosity, who's to " blame"  for kat.how staying unblocked ( by Virgin)  for about 3 months. It seems the system does not work too well.

I am pretty sure that domain move was late last year.

It takes time for the authorities to catch on to the new domain, do some sniffing and add it to the blocked list. There will be a "grace" period once its on the list as it takes time for the updated list to be propagated to ALL ISP's and infrastructure to be tweaked to block the new domains. VM always take a bit of time from issue of notice to implemented block.

and will Virgin offer any legal way to watch the next Games of Thrones season ( beginning July 2017) ? - I doubt it 

Thats the content owners issue, not VM's.  Im pretty sure VM would quite like to offer us SKY Atlantic , but SKY keep that one in-houe. However technically the answer is "yes" . You can by a NowTV box and watch it on that over your VM line, they dont block that.

Lets face it, like all the other gubbins we deal with around censorship on the net, its trivial to work round the block anyway. VM COULD be doing far more IMHO, its their choice to stick to what they absolutely have to do.

0 Kudos