Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

spam/ identity theft from mylife.com

somehow , my wifes blueyonder account is on some women called Michelle Gallo's profile. Who, According to My Life, is a 40 yr old woman living in New York, with absolutely no connection to us.

we cannot figure out how my wife's email got linked to that profile, or how to stop the spam.

it appears that My Life create free profiles ( USA only) then spam in the hopes of upgrades to paid-for deals. 

there appears to me no way to email the company.

I suppose I can block the domain on blueyonder servers ( well I could if the spam filters actually worked! )  but I cannot figure out how her account got into their system, My wife's name is not Michelle, her surname is not Gallo, she has never lived in USA ! 

theres no way that a new york resident could have a blueyonder.co.uk email address anyway ?

UPDATE; looking moe closely the account spammed is one of the old blueyonder aliases which we can now longer edit or remove

the account she actually uses is first.lastname @ bl.... the spammed one is firstlastname@bl

e.g. for joe blocks, the main is joe.bloggs@bl... the old alias is joebloggs@bl   . AFAIK there is no way to delete these old aliases

[ unless staff can do it if given the details via PM ]

so we get spam like

MIchelle, 965 people are checking your background report

MIchelle, your password needs to be updated

Michelle we found.... exposing you

about 1 per day.

MyLife is a scare & spam outfit according to google, and those 965 folks allegedly searching "Michelle's" background are all fake

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 17 Feb 2017 7:47 p.m.
Subject: Michele Gallo, A New Negative Record May Have Been Found
To: Michele Gallo <xxxxxxxxxxxb@blueyonder.co.uk

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam/ identity theft from mylife.com

It's not unheard of for spammers and scammers to use other peoples email addresses to register to websites. This happened to a relative of mine who one day started getting facebook emails out of the blue (they don't like or want to use facebook.) At first I thought they might be phish emails, but it turned out their email address had been used to register a facebook profile to spam and scam people there.

What had apparently happened was they abused the option which allows you verify your account number by phone call/text message. So when someone registered to a website which has both verification options available, they put in the victim's email and a disposable mobile phone they have. The email used never gets a verification email, as the verification goes to the phone. This method allows anyone to use anyone else's email address on any website which offers both forms of account verification.

I flagged the account to facebook for removal.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
scouser73
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There is an email address for My Life.

membersupport@mylife.com

Contact Support - https://www.mylife.com/contact-us/

Regards,

scouser73

152 Mbp/s Broadband - Windows 10 [Home] -
Ubuntu 17.10 - SuperHub 3.0 - Nokia 5
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks - I eventually found a deactivate my account option on the web site. so we deactivated " Michelle", which seems to have stopped the spam

i think the contact us option is bait and switch - all you get is an  invite to upgrade to a paid account for support

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I did have a quick look at mylife.com and there's stuff that doesn't add up about, the company.

While the domain was first registered in 1997, and goes to an address in Wilshire Boulevard, they have surprisingly few testimonials as to how effective they are.  Indeed all three testimonials appear to have been authored by the same person on the same day, even though they have different photographs.  Bit odd for a company that's supposedly been active since 2002.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i took a longer look - it's well dodgy both as a business model and in how it actually operates,

. simply google mylife fraud & prepare to be shocked