Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

selling old gear - whole vs parts ?

If I i value my older PCs  on ebay, an ageing but fully working PC with windows installed might fetch £50 if you are lucky, Then there's the hassle of packing, shipping, and praying you don't get a paypal chargeback because the couriers dropped or lost it, ( & none of them will insure PCS )

if however, you value the parts, again with ebay-used sale prices, they seem to total way more than the whole.  e.g. a 500Gb HD is £20, a 1TB one is £30-£40, RAM is maybe £20 depending how much and what type, the feeblest graphics card seems to go for £20+ ,some  fans are removable, someone may even want a PSU - though the last one I sold ( still boxed , never used ) went for very little on a rash 99p start no reserve auction. even a mains kettle cable sells for £3+ !

So it's apparently more profitable to break up a PC, sell off some bits , then take the remainder to a council recycling point ? Most charities have zero interest in anything electronic, and for sure will not come to you to collect

[ we used to have a gardener who allegedly had a mate who helped ship old PCs to kids in Africa, & that was a great way to shift my unwanted bits,  but my wife did not rate his gardening skills so he was axed ]

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: selling old gear - whole vs parts ?

The most important thing is to make sure that any personal data on your hard drives is wiped clean.  Personally I choose to destroy every unwanted hard drive with a bolt cutter.     Smiley Wink

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

The most important thing is to make sure that any personal data on your hard drives is wiped clean.  Personally I choose to destroy every unwanted hard drive with a bolt cutter.     Smiley Wink

that seems like overkill - a full ( not quick) format is effective ?, or there's the wipe free space option in Ccleaner, if leaving windows in place,or  probably lots of other freeware that does 7 pass random data writes or whatever the recommended super -safe technique is nowadays

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Dave_cq wrote:

that seems like overkill - a full ( not quick) format is effective ?, or there's the wipe free space option in Ccleaner, if leaving windows in place,or  probably lots of other freeware that does 7 pass random data writes or whatever the recommended super -safe technique is nowadays

Well yes, but with storage as cheap as chips and all the new SSD technology available I really can't be bothered to rescue the old outdated hardware.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the other problem with selling a PC with hard drive removed, ( after i'ts been upgraded and activated to Windows 10) is that it significantly devalues it ?

could write some complex speil about previously activated with windows 10 so if you put in a new drive and do  a fresh win 10 install and skip the key request then it should activate [ not guaranteed] ... but that would not fill be with any confidence ( as a buyer). i am tempted to do that with a v cheap v small HD just to be able to then list it as a working windows 10 PC, & keep the larger HD as a  spare

The revert to W7 situation is also fuzzy. I know that the dell inspiron 560 has a win 7 key hidden in dell bios so that a reinstall of win 7 from dell media would not prompt for key, but not sure if having done  the w10 upgrade makes that route invalid- probably not but it's not a claim I'd care to make, on a listing. ( & I don't have a geniune dell media disc anyway).

because dell do their keys that way, rather then from a COA key on a case sticker, I would have to check if there even IS a case sticker with a key...

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Someone has to be hard up to worry about £50 for an unwanted PC. The eBay hassle of returns, packing, breaking up the PC etc make the whole thing pointless. The tip is the answer for an unwanted £50 (?) worth PC.

Just saying.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
Someone has to be hard up to worry about £50 for an unwanted PC. The eBay hassle of returns, packing, breaking up the PC etc make the whole thing pointless. The tip is the answer for an unwanted £50 (?) worth PC.

Just saying.

always good to hear how the other half live Smiley Happy

to me , £50 is not a sum to be tossed away, and I have ethical issues with fully working electronics going to pollute the nearest landfill.

so thanks for the advice, all unwanted £50 notes gratefully accepted etc, but I'll do it my way, or find a way to give it to charity