Menu
davidjohnson821
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

removing a previous owners icloud account from phone

so i purchased a used iphone 4s ported my number over to virgin becasue thats whta carrier the phone had before- my problem is i cant get his icloud out of the phone- he has talked to apple along with me- but he can not recall anything- im lost here.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: removing a previous owners icloud account from phone

There is nothing you can do, it's part of Apple's security policy to stop stolen phones and tablets being used. The only person who can reset iCloud is the original user.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
davidjohnson821
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yeah he is a simple country man who had no use of a iphone- 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is it just the iCloud details which need removing or is there an activation lock? If just the iCloud account then just sign out or reset to factory defaults.

If an activation lock is set for the device he can deactivate it from his account, if he cannot remember any of his sign in details or his recovery details then he'll require the original receipt for the device & go to an Apple Store.

He could try opening iTunes, checking under his purchases to see which Apple ID/address he's using or go here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201354 & see if one of his email addresses works.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately a logical reseting to Factory wont help either... the original owner has to Remove that device from his Account.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201351

...and if you've triggered the iPhone is Disabled, your only option it to RESTORE FROM ITUNES (but again you will have to have removed this device from the original owners account)

Its doing what its designed to do, protect the device. 

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Dnmrt
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have had a similar issue in the past, our company use a lot of iPhones that go out to staff on the road, they often come back to us still locked and as the staff members have left the company we often cannot get in touch with them.

The only solution I have found is to raise a support ticket with apple, they do ask for proof of purchase which shows the IMEI number of the phone and date of purchase (you may be able to do this yourself and just have the seller sign and date it for you), usually they take around a week to come back to you but they have never said no to unlocking one of ours.

Regards

Dan