Menu
moof
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

many people just don't get enough fibre

...no not the technicalities of it being an important part of your healthy broadband diet Smiley Very Happy

But when folk say "I have Fibre"

do Virgin provide a true FTTP, Fibre to the Home (FTTH) service?

or is it just FTTC, Fibre to the cabinet and coax to the door?

OR is it just coax end to end and clever marketing types are calling it Fibre 'cause its sounds fast and mysterious and must have? Smiley Wink

...curious more than anything, having put FTTP into businesses (at GREAT expense) I've worked for.

never seen it offered as a home service.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: many people just don't get enough fibre

Mostly fibre to the node/neighbourhood. There are usually cabinets in between end user and fibre. Some FTTP though, with more being built up to a million premises passed by 2019.

moof
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

interesting. Guess the next question is are speeds better on FTTP? or is it early days

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed is always how much you are willing to pay. I believe coax will go over 1G.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

Speed is always how much you are willing to pay. I believe coax will go over 1G.

Simply NOT TRUE with VM is it.  How many people are paying for 200mbps and only getting a tiny fraction of that?

The UK is a very long way off FTTH to every home and being a sceptic by nature I can't ever see it happening.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They'll try stick it in newbuilds somehow (via legislation probably).  How such a thing will work/go down with telcos and whether it is faster or not,  remains to be seen.Robot Frustrated  You don't get yottabits just yet. 

It seems to me that current network infrastructure is incapable (all telecoms providers that is) of such speeds without siginificant investment.  No-one wants to put large amounts of money into (dud) technology (Apple V Sumsung, Blue ray/HD-DVD, Video 2000/VHS/Betamax, 8 track/cassette etc for example) and make a huge loss on it, taking down said telcos with it.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

moof wrote:

interesting. Guess the next question is are speeds better on FTTP? or is it early days

VM sell the same packages on both for right now though this'll probably change. Nothing matches up to full fibre, capacity is almost limitless.

0 Kudos