Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

is 4Gb still enough ?

Excluding gaming, and fancy apps like CAD design/ video editing. is there any need for >4GB in a windows PC.

the reason I ask Is a just bought a new=ish general purpose one that has 4gb but is expandable to 16.  My main dell vostro 460  has 8gb , & its memory usage will creep up to ~60% when its not been restarted for several days.so it uses 5+ gb ongoing

I understand that "RAM is there to be used" and Windows will keep stuff in RAM, undeleted, until it needs the RAM for other purposes.

My wife's PC is 32 bit windows 10, so although it has 4Gb it will only use 3, as it has to assidn 512Mb to the graphics card. when i check that after she being doing her usual stuff, usage is <2Gb. that hes rebooted daily but she uses it wastefully -trying to explain the difference between tabs and windows is worse than trying to explain the offside rule Smiley Happy I've tweaked hers so that the taskbar no longer auto hides but she will relaunch outlook, explorer, word,.. whatever instead of looking for already open instances. [ i think its possible to rebuild that PC as win 64 without loosing the 7 to 10 upgrade key but it means removing everything then putting it all back exactly as it was ]

So, back on topic, would I be wasting money adding another 4Gb to the 4Gb in the HP prodesk I just bought. That is £30 + the stress of installing it . That PC  uses the onboard CPU graphics ( intel HD 4000 )  but as we only want it for 2D stuff that is no great RAM overhead. It is replacing an older Inspiron 560 that has 6GB but i never saw all 6 being used !  [ not swappable as the 560 is DDR2 Ram, the HP is DDR3 ]

are RAM prices going up /, down or sideways nowadays, is there a trend ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: is 4Gb still enough ?

For me as long as it's 64 bit Windows installed then I'd go for at least 8GB. You may never use most of it day to day, but it'll give you flexibility if you need it.

Looking at some of the trends it does look like the prices are going up, but that may be a result of the current state of the £ rather than an actual price increase - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Google Chrome is happily munching 4GB on its own on my 16GB RAM right now. I'd certainly consider 8.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

its strange that all the sites which used to say [ for windows 7 ]  1Gb is rubbish , 2GB is the sweet spot , 4Gb is a nice to have, now say[ for Windows 10] , 4Gb is just about enough to get by but  the sweetspot.is 8

what changed ? where's the bloat coming from

we still use Office 2007,so its not that. Outlook is using only 44Mb, Spotify is at 25Mb. Chrome is a hog I admit but who really needs 20 tabs all open at once ...

if i look now , my 8Gb  is 52% used but its by dozens of tiny bits across 67 background processes, 12 of which are chrome ( & only 2 tabs are open) .

only 6 apps are reported running  and 1 of those is task manager for transcribing these stats....

I figured a weak £ would hurt component prices, and SSDs are priced about 10% up from from when I last bought one, but Ram looks not too bad. The crucial scanner offered me 2 chaoices , one at £30, one at £32, with identical part numbers, except one had a J on the end. More googling took me into the arcana of low density vs high density RAM, and that is not a fun or fascinating topic for me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

its strange that all the sites which used to say [ for windows 7 ]  1Gb is rubbish , 2GB is the sweet spot , 4Gb is a nice to have, now say[ for Windows 10] , 4Gb is just about enough to get by but  the sweetspot.is 8

I think partly it's like anything. If you have the space you'll use it. So when software had to be small to fit on low capacity storage, slow connections and low resolution screens, they did so. However these days everyone generally has way more processing power than they need and memory and storage are cheap enough that it's easier to be optimise less.

Saying that, we're also in the age of HD and 4K video streams, 4K resolution screens, SSDs, broadband speeds in three figures and larger file sizes in general. So as other components get faster and more powerful you have to increase the available memory in order to maintain performance.

10 years ago the hard disk was one of the biggest factors that could affect performance, now it can be not enough memory to deal with all the data that is being moved around.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The less RAM you have, the more virtual memory (your disk drive) will be used (which is much slower), even if you still have FREE ram available. Watch that blinking disk drive light when you perform any function.

My i3 laptop has 6GB RAM and that wasn't enough for Windows 7 and Chrome with more than a few tabs open, even though I'd disabled most of the Windows features that cause poor performance. Linux Mint runs a lot better on it though.

I'd recommend 8GB for any Windows 7 machine these days. Particularly if you're using any cloud apps (hotmail, gmail etc, youtube), as Javascript implementations tend to have a lot of memory leaks, which make your RAM usage go up up up and your performance go down down down over time. The same can be said for Flash video playing.

Just got an i7 laptop and it has 32 GB RAM. Running Linux and Windows 7. Hopefully that will be enough and swap (virtual memory) usage is constantly zero, which is a good sign. Smiley Very Happy

SSD's are good (I have one in the i7 laptop), but sufficient RAM to reduce swapping to virtual memory is more important to improve performance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

4GB hasn't been "enough" since Win7

8GB is not REALLY enough for WIN10

Like BenMCR says, things will expand to take up the memory available. I wouldn't go as far as 32GB for an everyday system but for a performance system, its certainly AT LEAST 16 and more likely 32.

Lets face it a decent graphics card has 8GB these days, JUST for showing pictures....

The new Radeon Vega GPU can address SLIGHTLY more....

vega-512tb-virtual-address-100702200-large.jpg

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

if i look now , my 8Gb  is 52% used but its by dozens of tiny bits across 67 background processes, 12 of which are chrome ( & only 2 tabs are open) .

Windows tends to start swapping out to virtual memory around the 50%-60% mark, so your 8GB is barely enough then.

Shudder to think what Windows is doing with your 4GB.

On Linux I set the swappiness value to zero, so that it can use most of the RAM before swapping to virtual memory. That improves performance considerably. http://askubuntu.com/questions/103915/how-do-i-configure-swappiness

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

More people using 64-bit? Clearly when they're talking about 4GB that's 32-bit, and when 8GB that's 64-bit.

Windows 10 can cope with less memory than Windows 7, as it's designed for tablets, but it depends what apps you install and what your performance expectations are.

http://superuser.com/questions/956642/what-is-the-memory-requirement-for-windows-10

0 Kudos
avnow8
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

i think 8 or 16 GB of ram should be standard on laptops for better multi-tasking
0 Kudos