Menu
Community elder
Message 1 of 13 (4,900 Views)

hub 3 user manual ?

is there one that i can browse ?

my hub 3 went live today and so far so good - I got 200 on the fast.com speed test, and I see that this PC is still on the same DHCP value ( which I quickly set as a reservation ). A few other devices also have kept their DHCP numbers but they show as "unknown" in the name filed on the DHCP page.

so I'd like to browse a manual  if it exists .e.g can I edit the name of a DHCP reservation - I know what my devices are assigned to as I have a crib sheet of MACs written down elsewhere, but If I could go to the hub screen and change " unknown" to "kindle" or whatever, that would be convenient..

I see that the dhcp lease time is now specified in seconds, it used to be in days on the old hub & I have not done the math on that default number yet.

and , sad but true, I actually like browsing manuals offline to see what new gizmos are capable of..

one other thing I am not clear on, unless I browse lots of threads, is shoudl i set different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band or is it better to have the same name for both & let devices choose ( I think that is the default ? )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 13 (4,896 Views)

Re: hub 3 user manual ?

[ Edited ]

There isn't a PDF manual, however this help article has links to all relevant help content available:

Hub 3.0

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 13 (4,892 Views)

[ Edited ]

cybmole wrote:

is there one that i can browse ?

This is not the manual for our Hub 3 (TG2492LG-VM), but for the Connect Hub (CH7465LG), which is very similar. The GUI is almost identical. It's used in places like VM Ireland and UPC western and eastern block countries.

https://www.upc.ch/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/en/int/Manual%20Wlan%20Connect%20Box%20Mo...

It's as good as you're going to get.

my hub 3 went live today and so far so good - I got 200 on the fast.com speed test, and I see that this PC is still on the same DHCP value ( which I quickly set as a reservation ). A few other devices also have kept their DHCP numbers but they show as "unknown" in the name filed on the DHCP page.

Don't be surprised if there are still a few bugs in the GUI.

so I'd like to browse a manual  if it exists .e.g can I edit the name of a DHCP reservation - I know what my devices are assigned to as I have a crib sheet of MACs written down elsewhere, but If I could go to the hub screen and change " unknown" to "kindle" or whatever, that would be convenient..

I see that the dhcp lease time is now specified in seconds, it used to be in days on the old hub & I have not done the math on that default number yet.

and , sad but true, I actually like browsing manuals offline to see what new gizmos are capable of..

one other thing I am not clear on, unless I browse lots of threads, is shoudl i set different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band or is it better to have the same name for both & let devices choose ( I think that is the default ? )

Better to set separate SSID's, otherwise as the 2.4ghz signal is stronger most times your devices will select that.

Community elder
Message 4 of 13 (4,877 Views)

thanks to both of you -

do you recommend changing the firewall settings or leaving them at defaults - I don't on-line game.  With the old hub I had followed old advice to disable firewall esp. the flood detect thing.

I think I have now lost the SH1's ability to filter annoying click-bait URLs, like taboola, outbrain at Hub level & I'll have to use hosts files on PCs instead ?

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 5 of 13 (4,873 Views)

I can see from the link provided to the UPC manual that some of the illustrations are dated August 2015, so it has taken VM a long time to get to where we are today!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 13 (4,859 Views)

it is god that the flickering lights are no longer with us, can that single remaining white light be dimmed via a menu somewhere

it a frustrating backward step that I now get outbrain clickbait rubbish in my tablet apps and browsers again. I had that blocked in the old SH1, and I can find no way to block on a non-rooted tablet. the guardian app is the worst offender for that, and I suspect that even the last report of buying a subscription for the ad free version will not remove that junk, 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 13 (4,848 Views)

[ Edited ]

cybmole wrote:

thanks to both of you -

do you recommend changing the firewall settings or leaving them at defaults - I don't on-line game.  With the old hub I had followed old advice to disable firewall esp. the flood detect thing.

Default's should be fine, or as you wish. Turning off flood detection was a SH1 work-around.

I think I have now lost the SH1's ability to filter annoying click-bait URLs, like taboola, outbrain at Hub level & I'll have to use hosts files on PCs instead ?

That shouldn't be an issue..

The combo of Web Of Trust (Green light means safe to click), Ghostery and UBlock Origin takes care of most stuff and some sensible browsing for the rest. Also Chrome has protection when you click some dodgy links. e.g. for malware.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 13 (4,844 Views)

cybmole wrote:

it is god that the flickering lights are no longer with us, can that single remaining white light be dimmed via a menu somewhere

No.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 13 (4,842 Views)

Tudor wrote:

I can see from the link provided to the UPC manual that some of the illustrations are dated August 2015, so it has taken VM a long time to get to where we are today!

This is an LG/UPC manual, not a VM one. And yes our Hub 3 started trials here in September last year, so not much time between them.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13 (4,189 Views)

BenMcr wrote:

There isn't a PDF manual, however this help article has links to all relevant help content available:

Hub 3.0

Hi - this link is busted (internal server error)  Really need a manual for this device, all you get is a basic set up guide, doesn't tell you how to configure a network.  Can probably work it out but a bit poor to have device with no instructions.