Menu
Highlighted
doddy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

downgrading Router

hi I am on the Super Hub 3 and I game a lot I am also on the vivid 200 gamer package but I'm having latency issues so I bought a super hub 2ac on ebay as they are meant to be better but when I went to activate it they said as the MAC address hasn't been on the account before they cant do it - are they just saying that or is there a way around it - they also said that virgin media are taking "Arris" to court over the latency issue and I have to await the outcome of it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Package: Vivid 350 Optical Fibre
Modem/Router: Super hub 3.0/ASUS AC88U
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: downgrading Router

hiya @doddy the person who put it on ebay is breaking the terms and conditions of virginmedia and possible the law as well, since its property of virginmedia.. what you paid for is just a paper weight since the hub would be linked to a different account.. and nothing you can do about it.. a lot of people are buying a 3rd party router such as an asus rt68ac series or something similar, I would be asking for a refund on the hub you've bought since ebay are meant to be taking down all the auctions for virginmedia hubs.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @doddy the person who put it on ebay is breaking the terms and conditions of virginmedia and possible the law as well, since its property of virginmedia.. what you paid for is just a paper weight since the hub would be linked to a different account.. and nothing you can do about it.. a lot of people are buying a 3rd party router such as an asus rt68ac series or something similar, I would be asking for a refund on the hub you've bought since ebay are meant to be taking down all the auctions for virginmedia hubs.

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The hub you bought is stolen goods & VM will not activate it, full stop.

Only equipment sent to you/installed by Virgin & therefore directly linked to your account will be activated.

I would get in touch with eBay & try to recover your money.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can only use equipment supplied by VM direct to you.  As VM only rent hubs to customers and they remain the property of VM, you have purchased a hub that is technically stolen.

Plenty of posts on this forum warning about the dangers of buying VM hubs from eBay.  Best you can do is contact the seller for a refund or file a dispute with eBay and/or Paypal if you paid with Paypal to get your money back.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

doddy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

but isn't the problem with the Super Hub 3 in modem or router mode? I have a linksys WRT 3200ACM with DD-WRT installed on it. If i was to get an Asus rt68ac would that plugin like my SH or will i need to put my SH in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This thread had no replies for over an hour and in the few minutes it took me to type my reply it gets two, Superusers are like buses round here Smiley LOL

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

doddy wrote:
but isn't the problem with the Super Hub 3 in modem or router mode? I have a linksys WRT 3200ACM with DD-WRT installed on it. If i was to get an Asus rt68ac would that plugin like my SH or will i need to put my SH in modem mode

The latency problem does exist regardless of which mode your hub is in.  No third party router can plug directly into the VM network they all have to connect via a hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I find it very annoying that people are still selling VM property e.g. hubs on ebay and even more annoying that ebay and other auction sites are not putting a stop to this malpractice.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

if the auctions sites are getting their commission/tiny cut doubt they'll do much about it..
doddy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

the guy said if I send the router back he will refund me.

I sent him:
Dear sergnms,

this is the message I got back from the virgin media community:

the person who put it on ebay is breaking the terms and conditions of virgin media and possible the law as well, since its property of virginmedia.. what you paid for is just a paperweight since the hub would be linked to a different account... I would be asking for a refund on the hub you've bought since ebay are meant to be taking down all the auctions for virgin media hubs.

and he sent back:
Oh, dear, terms and conditions Smiley Happy if you can't make it work, you can send it back and I'll refund you.

I went on Amazon and bought an Asus RT-AC88U router and going to put my Super hub 3 in modem mode and hope this helps until they fix it.

0 Kudos