Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

can I run ethernet cables on outside of house ?

I am again looking at how to improe my upstairs ( router) to downstairs ( TV, PC , other stuff... ) connectivity

i spent hours tracing an internmittent  cable disconnected, cable connected error messages on the TV [ linked via powerline to hub] which eventually turned out to be a powerline device failing & cutting out intermittently ( diagnosis was not helped by thte TV sneakily reverting to wifi wihout saying so - so only when I pulled ut the ethr ent cable & netflix carried on streaming did I realise it was doing that! ... )  the wifi reception using TVs built-in wifi is crap, too far from router, too many walls, Powerline is fine and plenty fast enough when it works, but this is the 2nd powerline device to fail in 3 years. Today, I was on the verge of attempting a factory reset of the smart TV/ or calling Samsung/ or calling Richer Sounds to complain before I spotted the intermittent red light on the powerline device. [ luckily I had an old spare one... ]. and that av500 device has now failed completely after swapping it out, poking the reset pinhole, trying it in other sockets... ]

anyway. the hassle which would be needed for proper internal Gigabit cabling is scary - carpets / floorboards up / holes in walls, no simple route from where hub is to where TV & Roku box is - cable would have to cross a  bedroom and landing / hallway. work around a chimney stack... so I am wondering - could I have a workman run  a cat 6 cable  from where the router is, next to an outside bedroom wall , go outside and down the exterior wall ( in some protective sheath, then into and around the lounge... preferably with neat wall sockets at either end... the lounge has a solid floor ...

is that feasible and how would I source the exterior cable protection, and who do I call, an electrician ? 

having the hub moved ( at £99) would not solve it, it just then creates the reverse problem of how to get fast speeds upstairs

the other possible option is a hybrid wired / wifi route. I could fairly easily run a 5 meter cat 6 cable from the hub across the bedroom at skirting board level ,through a built in cupboard, and into another landing cupboard ( which was once a boiler cupboard), From there the TV location is one floor down and offset,  but a powerful access point device could maybe beam a fast wifi-n signal down through a ceiling. Can an extra  router, in AP mode, be set up, so that it fires downwards e.g face down on a thin  shelf or cunningly wall mounted inside a cupboard . The wife is not going to accept any wires coming down through lounge ceiling and over ceiling cornices

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: can I run ethernet cables on outside of house ?

CAT5e or CAT6 cable externally would be your best bet. You could run normal cable in trunking or it would be neater to just run external grade cable. The external type of cable is uPVC stabilised so it's not affected by sunlight. Make sure you use solid cored cable not multi stranded. The multi stranded one is used in patch cables that you buy with connectors attached.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Might be easier than you think to run something internally. Ive a tiled floor between HUB and media server and got hacked off with slow speeds over powerlines.

I got a flat CAT6 cable, took out grout in one line of tiles, ran the cable and re-grouted.  Flat cable will also run under carpet, round the space between skirting and carpets/wood floors etc etc.

But Tudors advice is sound if you want to go externally.

0 Kudos
ilike2burnthing
Rising star
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I would guess there are people who can do this for you if you don't want the hassle.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

thanks guys, i found the flat cat 6 stuff at amazon with good reviews

I will email a couple of Tv installers, as the best internal route is alongside the aeriel cable which comes down thtough attic and through a landing cupboard... the guy who upgraded aeriel cable that struggled and cursed for 2 hours though ,doing a pull through with the previous cable, it must zig zag some inside of walls., so pulling some cat 6 though without breaking it ... ? I guess it is more fragile than TV co-ax ?

it is a pity there is no way to dual purpose the Tivo cable which is already in the right place , that goes half way aroung the house on the outside then snakes in via boiler cupboard & around the hall then through an internal wall to back of TV area.

where would I find and price external grade cat 6 please for  the other option - I an guessing NOT at amazon ???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Amazon* have EVERYTHING

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-External-Outdoor-Ethernet-Network/dp/B004HTHIYG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&...

*Other online retailers are available. YMMV. Snapping fingers will not make food appear...

Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Flat CAT5e/6 cable is fine, but remember NEVER walk on any Network cable.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

Flat CAT5e/6 cable is fine, but remember NEVER walk on any Network cable.

is jumping up and down on them ok Smiley Happy

and the adverts for flat cables say you can run them under carpet, they don't go on to say but then you can't walk on the carpet.

being serious again, I would buy trunking to hide and protect... but is it the case that no shielding is needed then, as a flat cable cannot have sheilding ( nowhere to put it) , some of the more expensive round ones claim to have some.

I may be confusing the need for shielding  with the flat vs rounded HDMi cabling debates that i have read.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

i continue to dither explore the options Smiley Wink

one issue with any cables through walls / ceilings is that the cat 5 / 6 plugs need a much larger hole than the actual cable

I see on amazon a no tools gizmo that allegedly puts the end back on - thus in theory I could but a cable , chop an end off, thread it, fix it ?

A pro installer would thread unterminated cables, then attach plugs or fit into neat wall sockets ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NO-TOOL-Gigabit-without-crimper-punchdown/dp/B00N9ZQY9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

51S9E1cIV5L._SL1000_.jpg

with that, would I buy plain cable ( no ends) or buy a standard cable and cut it. not sure how to puzzle out if that works with both flat and round, or only with round

PS when I look at wall plates I see references to keystones. what is a keystone in this context ?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos