Menu
Highlighted
DannyLawrence
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

apps for Windows

Why are there no Virgin Media apps for users of Windows devices? I use a Windows desktop computer, a Windows laptop, a Windows tablet and a Windows phone and am entirely happy with them. Yet Virgin Media completely ignore the existence of my eco-system. I feel thoroughly discriminated against. How do Virgin Media justify taking my money, in the same way they do from users of iOS and Android devices, but not offer me comparable facilities? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Flying_Kiwi
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: apps for Windows

I'm not sure its all of Virgin, maybe just the UK part. There are apps for Windows phones in the Microsoft store but only for Canadian and Polish customers with Virgin mobiles or Queenslanders for Virgin Money. That said, you'd think it wouldn't take much effort at all to convert the existing phone apps to work with the UK system.

Virgin in the UK needs to be less discriminatory with Windows users. Just like you, i have an All-Windows setup that I'm otherwise happy with, several PCs including two Windows 10 tablets, a Lumia 950 phone and other Windows phones.

Even with their recent 'evolution' from TV Anywhere to the 'TV Go and TV Control, Android and iOS both get both of these apps but Windows users only get the TV Go app and even then, it can't be installed on Windows 10 phones. Has Virgin Media never heard of Windows 10 laptops - only the most common OS installed on laptops these days and for apps designed with TV portability in mind, such devices are only 'half supported'.

I've volunteered to be a pre-release tester through their survey and even though I mentioned my Win 10 tablets, I heard not a word and now we have a buggy app/service. They only have themselves to blame. If you haven't already done so DannyLawrence, you might want to fill in their pre-release testing survey so they cant blame a lack of willing volunteers to test new Windows apps as a reason for non-availability.

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When developers program for Windows 10 devices they have the option to use UWP which is universal across different platforms. It's therefore not much of a stretch at all from a Win 10 tablet (with a small touch screen) to a Win 10 phone with an even smaller touch screen.

Yes Windows Phones are rare these day and Microsoft have stopped making them but they're still around and clearly there are VM customers with them. If developing for Win 10 phones was a separate process to developing for other Win 10 devices then I could understand your concern but it needn't be.

My Lumia 950 which came with Windows 10 all along has a removable battery, memory card slot, excellent camera and all the hardware sensors seen on other smartphones that cost far more. I've used both iOS and Android tablets provided by past employers and didn't like either GUI - Metro is way ahead IMO. Given all of this why are far more expensive phones selling in larger numbers - lots of reasons but the main one is lack of available Windows apps for those who need them (many developers aren't capable of working on the platform) - a catch 22.

As mentioned, if they're going to be making apps for Win 10 tablets and laptops (which VM definitely should), then its only a small stretch to adopt a UWP approach and have Win 10 phones supported at the same time. Its total Windows device support that VM needs to try much harder with. If its good enough for organisations that don't directly take our money (such as National Rail Enquiries and Traveline Scotland as just two examples of many) to develop Windows Apps, then those organisations that do take our money had better have an inclusive attitude towards supporting differing 'platforms to meet their customers needs. Anything else is discriminatory, no ifs or buts.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good question.  I would certainly like the Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots app made available for Windows devices.  I consider it a major omission. 

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Flying_Kiwi
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not sure its all of Virgin, maybe just the UK part. There are apps for Windows phones in the Microsoft store but only for Canadian and Polish customers with Virgin mobiles or Queenslanders for Virgin Money. That said, you'd think it wouldn't take much effort at all to convert the existing phone apps to work with the UK system.

Virgin in the UK needs to be less discriminatory with Windows users. Just like you, i have an All-Windows setup that I'm otherwise happy with, several PCs including two Windows 10 tablets, a Lumia 950 phone and other Windows phones.

Even with their recent 'evolution' from TV Anywhere to the 'TV Go and TV Control, Android and iOS both get both of these apps but Windows users only get the TV Go app and even then, it can't be installed on Windows 10 phones. Has Virgin Media never heard of Windows 10 laptops - only the most common OS installed on laptops these days and for apps designed with TV portability in mind, such devices are only 'half supported'.

I've volunteered to be a pre-release tester through their survey and even though I mentioned my Win 10 tablets, I heard not a word and now we have a buggy app/service. They only have themselves to blame. If you haven't already done so DannyLawrence, you might want to fill in their pre-release testing survey so they cant blame a lack of willing volunteers to test new Windows apps as a reason for non-availability.

0 Kudos
DannyLawrence
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for such a full and supportive response. 

I do sometimes wonder if pressure is not being brought to bear on, or incentives offered to, Virgin and some other companies to favour some OSs at the expense of others. Have you noticed, for example, how on the BBC, which is not supposed to allow product placement, the Apple logo is frequently visible on the cover of laptops - but those belonging to Windows, supporting companies such as Dell, HP. Acer, Asus and Samsung have a label stuck over their logo? In the case of Virgin, my complaint is not only that they do not support Windows to the same degree as iOS and Android but that they take my money in the same way but then offer me an inferior service. In other words, it is not just that they favour some of their customers, but they consciously and deliberately over long periods discriminate against others. I'm beginning to think that this has gone on so long it should be brought to the attention of OFCOM.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

DannyLawrence wrote:

Thanks for such a full and supportive response. 

I do sometimes wonder if pressure is not being brought to bear on, or incentives offered to, Virgin and some other companies to favour some OSs at the expense of others. Have you noticed, for example, how on the BBC, which is not supposed to allow product placement, the Apple logo is frequently visible on the cover of laptops - but those belonging to Windows, supporting companies such as Dell, HP. Acer, Asus and Samsung have a label stuck over their logo? In the case of Virgin, my complaint is not only that they do not support Windows to the same degree as iOS and Android but that they take my money in the same way but then offer me an inferior service. In other words, it is not just that they favour some of their customers, but they consciously and deliberately over long periods discriminate against others. I'm beginning to think that this has gone on so long it should be brought to the attention of OFCOM.

Maybe this answers whether VM are discriminating against windows phone users, or just commercially prudent?

windowsMS.png

The only people discriminating against windows phones is  - windows phone users.

Who are consistently switching to IOS or Android.

Its a pity, I like the platform but no commercial entity is going to throw money away chasing such a low market share...

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Windows stuff:

I reckon its something to do with what I posted elsewhere when all my apps (both 32/64 bit) crashed.  A lot of older software now runs in various compatibility modes and is buggy on Windows 10 64 bit (10 from now on), whereas stuff written for XP worked fine.   There's a heck of a lot more stuff going on in 10 whereas XP was a different ball game as there was nowhere near as much going on. 

Opening up task manager is a huge chore (due to the list of processes going on) and the amount of stuff going on is huge compared with older Windows versions.  10 has to run both 32/64 bit stuff at the same time and it uses it's own really weird proprietary way of doing things.  WinHTTP was also broken, so even if your perfectly compiled apps were working, if they utilised internet resources it would crash, resulting in the nonsense I went through here. The end user has little support from Microsoft, and in my case AMD both blaming each other for failings in buggy software.  There's more opinion here as well: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Has-anyone-tried-the-new-Windows-10-vers-1709-yet/t....  Why spend years coding apps when there's no guarantee of them working?  They can't test for every eventuality.  

ISP/General stuff: 

User expectation is also incredibly (far too IMO, both on the ISP/hardware side) high (the bottom line is they want stuff to just work straight out of the box, which is rather old fashioned):  Company X says it can provide 500Yb of internet download speed.  Punters ask where is it?  "I've signed up for it, give it to me now".  "I'm connecting 47 laptops, 17 tablets, 5 iPhones, 73 Wi-Fi devices, 24 TV's, an internet toilet, 60 streaming devices, a coffee machine, oh, and a massive data centre in California".  Why doesn't it work?  They've moved away from computing and coding; something they're trying to get back to.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
DannyLawrence
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think you've missed my point which did not relate specifically to Windows phones. My remarks relate to Windows devices as a whole, including desktop, laptop, hybrid and tablet computers and (for the acknowledged relatively small number of us using them, Windows phones). Arguably, of course, one of the main reasons why Windows phones were not more successful is that there were not enough supporting apps from people like Virgin. 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft killed windows phones themselves.  My brother had one; good basic phone with enough apps on it for him to do what he wanted with it.  All of a sudden it stopped working and went the same way as what happened to me with Windows 10.  It got so bad he had thrown it at a wall in a fit of rage.  Easier to code for Android as that uses Java.  Iphones are the default number one, so it's a no brainer.  Folk like their logos.  

Here's an interesting story: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/28/nypd_scraps_36000_windows_smartphones/ from the internets.  

As for apps, what would you want to see from them?  Most stuff can be done in a browser.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When developers program for Windows 10 devices they have the option to use UWP which is universal across different platforms. It's therefore not much of a stretch at all from a Win 10 tablet (with a small touch screen) to a Win 10 phone with an even smaller touch screen.

Yes Windows Phones are rare these day and Microsoft have stopped making them but they're still around and clearly there are VM customers with them. If developing for Win 10 phones was a separate process to developing for other Win 10 devices then I could understand your concern but it needn't be.

My Lumia 950 which came with Windows 10 all along has a removable battery, memory card slot, excellent camera and all the hardware sensors seen on other smartphones that cost far more. I've used both iOS and Android tablets provided by past employers and didn't like either GUI - Metro is way ahead IMO. Given all of this why are far more expensive phones selling in larger numbers - lots of reasons but the main one is lack of available Windows apps for those who need them (many developers aren't capable of working on the platform) - a catch 22.

As mentioned, if they're going to be making apps for Win 10 tablets and laptops (which VM definitely should), then its only a small stretch to adopt a UWP approach and have Win 10 phones supported at the same time. Its total Windows device support that VM needs to try much harder with. If its good enough for organisations that don't directly take our money (such as National Rail Enquiries and Traveline Scotland as just two examples of many) to develop Windows Apps, then those organisations that do take our money had better have an inclusive attitude towards supporting differing 'platforms to meet their customers needs. Anything else is discriminatory, no ifs or buts.

0 Kudos
DannyLawrence
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Very well put - couldn't agree more.

0 Kudos