Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

anyone getting the 2017 Nvidia Shield TV

http://www.aftvnews.com/hands-on-with-the-amazon-video-app-on-the-new-nvidia-shield-tv/

now that it has Amazon Video alongside of Netflix + full voice control - it is looking irresistible...

I hope the VM hub will not throw a hissy fit if one is connected...

so why wait for  V6 to get Amazon video ( & would that ever be  in 4K ) when there's this in 3 days time. Amazon start shipping them on 16th Jan

Since the new Shield TV is a 4K UHD device with HDR support, Amazon own library of 4K content is highlighted near the top of the home screen. The selection of this next-gen content is still fairly slim, but it’s growing steadily with every passing month.

0 Kudos
zombiesfeelpain
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: anyone getting the 2017 Nvidia Shield TV

My dad made the jump to 4K so his Amazon Fire stick just isn't cutting it anymore, so I preorered the 2017 Shield, KODI heaven as it lags on the Firestick. Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

let me know how that goes please . 

I am dithering over the 16gb vs the 500Gb options. I read that it is better to go with 16 and add your own. Because with android Nougat, you can format external flash or hard drive so that the shield sees it as an extension to internal storage, and a 500Gb external drive is cheaper than the price hike on the built-in model.

I never rated the Fire sticks for Kodi - footie that would stream on a PC + kodi would crash out ofter 10 mins on the stick - maybe lack of RAM  or crap OS tuned to favour the amazon services? 

0 Kudos
zombiesfeelpain
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I preordered the 16GB one, and that's what I'm planning to do with my old PS4 500GB hard drive in a caddy, and yeah the stick itself on KODI can be pretty unresponsive, Wifi isn't the best and the dual core CPU and 1GB RAM isn't helping so the Shield should be a much better experience. ^_^ 

0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Nothing wrong with a firestick I make builds all the time 

For sports it's a no go as everyone uses sports for films tv shows its great 

If you load it right and not cram it with rubbish the firestick is great 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

For the price ( especially when on sale) the Fire stick is pretty good at most things

the plex app support is rubbish compared to Roku, but it does all the amazon stuff well. It chokes on 1080p via plex

you have to be careful not to let it overhead. I put some 99p aluminium heatsinks on the outside of mine which worked very well. you could feel the heat transferred into the sinks

I have now sold both of mine &  bought an Nvidia Sheld TV. l have not gotten around to trying Kobi on that yet.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

zombiesfeelpain wrote:

Yeah I preordered the 16GB one, and that's what I'm planning to do with my old PS4 500GB hard drive in a caddy, and yeah the stick itself on KODI can be pretty unresponsive, Wifi isn't the best and the dual core CPU and 1GB RAM isn't helping so the Shield should be a much better experience. ^_^ 

got mine - the setup for your own external drive is confusing. what you have to do ( not obvious) is configure the shield plex server  FROM A PC. otherwise it does not see any folders on attached storage. there is also s a settings option that lets you view internal storage from a PC with a user name + system generated password. anonymous login not allowed. That would allow e.g. sideloading apks if you can find any that work without a touch screen. I considered side loading my amazon store app in order to get the amazon apps I own onto their but lack of touch screen could make it a pointless task.

i have ordered a 64GB flash drive to boost the internal ( apps etc) storage. I will have the 1TB USB drive as removable storage, as it seems the simplest way to update your plex server content will be to remove that drive , connect it to a PC and change content that way. you cannot write to it while it's attached to the shield- I read that's an android limitation, with no easy work-around.

0 Kudos
Charbax
Joining in
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I am getting the Xiaomi Mi Box Android TV box instead, it seems about 3x cheaper than the New Nvidia Shield 2017.. sure the Xiaomi Mi Box only has AmLogic S905X Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53, which is not anywhere near the performance of the amazing Nvidia Shield, though price of the Xiaomi Mi Box is attractive..

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

beware. it will be restricted to SD only for both Amazon video and Netflix if it is not on their whitelists, and that will look awful on any large screen

see here http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/why-android-and-other-devices-cant-stream-hd-netflix/

Netflix has a handy list of HD-ready devices, and if you look closely, you’ll notice there’s only seven approved streaming media players: Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, and LG’s Smart TV Upgrader. That’s it. Anything else considered a “streaming box” doesn’t make the cut.

& amazon is even more restrictive

0 Kudos
Charbax
Joining in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I would think that any certified Android TV device such as New 2017 Nvidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box must be on Amazon 4K's and Netflix 4K's whitelist..

0 Kudos