Menu
RichIrving
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi booster?

what are the options for boosting wifi upstairs? My builder has suggested running a cable from the wifi box up to the bedroom but is a plug in wifi booster on the second floor a better option?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi booster?

hiya @RichIrving yes the builder is correct, running a ethernet cable from the hub upstairs and attach a wireless access point (not a router) to the end of the cable will give much better wifi coverage.. other options include putting the hub into modem mode and use a 3rd party router such as a asus rt68ac series, not cheap but worth it..
if dont want to have cables running up walls, could buy a pair of homeplugs with wifi, this would require running cable from hub to nearest wall socket, and having a plug upstairs this will broadcast a wifi signal..
i would stay clear of repeaters/extenders since these can really slash your speeds..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you have a good builder, he will carefully drill holes, pull up floorboards, etc, to run the cable (cat5e is fine). Terminate both ends with RJ45 wall plates. Upstairs, install a wireless access point (requires a power supply), good ones are available for £40 or less.

Here is an example of such a product.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-Link-Gigabit-Repeater-Multi-SSID-AP200/dp/B01N7TQXTX/ref=sr_1_16?s=compu...

RichIrving
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Really helpful guys thanks - the cabling' not an issue as it'll all be concealed - really helpful on the recommendation of what I need. Ta
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just to round that off, a so-called wireless booster would give you grief as it's only as good as the signal it relays from downstairs, and because of the relay, is half duplex.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)