Menu
DanJohn
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why dont virging allow people to pay to cable a street?

when you enter your postcode and it says virgin are coming in 3years why dont they add an option for people to pay virgin to cable their street. i would do it if it isnt over priced. i mean i cant go another 3 years with 6Mbps i can barley watch utube videos nevermind gaming. 100Mbps-200Mbps would be great for 4-5 people who use the internet alot.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why dont virging allow people to pay to cable a street?

DanJohn wrote:

when you enter your postcode and it says virgin are coming in 3years why dont they add an option for people to pay virgin to cable their street. i would do it if it isnt over priced. i mean i cant go another 3 years with 6Mbps i can barley watch utube videos nevermind gaming. 100Mbps-200Mbps would be great for 4-5 people who use the internet alot.

Send me a cheque for £1,450,275 and I'll see what I can do.      Smiley Wink

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
moof
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why dont virging allow people to pay to cable a street?

one word: council

if you ever have the misfortune to arrange something like a dark fibre installation (involving a dig), you will soon learn that you have to get all sorts of people involved... and common sense just goes out the door (the same as waiting 3years for something you need NOW)

remember the Heineken Roadworks advert? those clever marketing people got it spot on! Smiley Very Happy

councils, ownership, traffic control, who's paying for all this? what if a random person falls in the hole while they are digging? what if a plane lands on the road 'cause of a lack of lighting? but what about my driveway? the noise, the light... endless points of fail.

I had the installation of a 100GIG circuit spannered simply because of the London Olympics and the City of London ruling ALL open roadworks to be closed before the start date... the road in question had been up for 6+months, but I would have to wait for it to be closed then redug for my companies circuit to be laid.

also your common sense of give me a fair price, and we'll find the money  just doesnt wash with some of your neighbours... they think the Internet is free so why should they pay for it?

...having moved from a non cabled town to a cabled one, I couldnt get back to middle earth fast enough Robot wink

0 Kudos
DanJohn
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

trRe: Why dont virging allow people to pay to cable a street?

i guess ill have to live with this for the next 3 years http://prntscr.com/dsbcm8 its gonna be hell now that new triple A games are over 30GB now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: trRe: Why dont virging allow people to pay to cable a street?

Because of the way the market was "broken up" in the days when BT had a monopoly, the plus side is we have a choice of suppliers. The minus side is unprofitable areas are unlikely to cabled. Full stop.

If you look at ANY of the private companies doing fibre, they ALL stick to profitable, populous areas.

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=53.67608371434258&lng=-2.6277912373046797&zoom=10&type=terrain&...

Even Openreach who receive massive public subsidy, are guilty (to a slightly lesser extent)

There a quickly developing 2 tier UK when it comes to broadband. Densely populated areas even have a choice of more than one fibre provider (by and large). More remote areas have NO access to "proper" broadband, never mind fibre. A lot of areas only have one that actually deliver decent speeds.

0 Kudos