Menu
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 78
Flag for a moderator

What would you like to see in the new TiVo?

Just some teasers from Virgin Media New TiVo V6

I would like to see 6 tuners and at least a 3TB hard drive and 4K capability 

What would you like to see in the new TiVo?

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 78
Flag for a moderator

Re: What would you like to see in the new TiVo?

If I understand it correctly, the information posted on your link to the News section lists the features of the latest TiVo UI which was released several days ago for 'existing' TiVo boxes in the UK.

The 'new' box, TV V6, will be 4K UHD ready. I believe this is to be an Eos based set-top box developed by Liberty Global as a next-generation consumer premises platform. It will have the aforementioned updated TiVo UI, rather than the Horizon interface used by Liberty elsewhere in Europe. The box is aimed to rival Sky Q

If you consider that the Horizon TV box, Liberty Global's flagship platform, is a cross-platform media platform and high-definition DVR/PVR set-top-box with 6 DVB-C Tuners, it is possible the new TV P6 could be similar. full details have still not been publicly released.

The first generation Horizon TV box uses XBMC Media Center software as its main graphical user interface on-top a hidden proprietary middle-ware framework for video on demand and handling DRM for streaming multimedia.

The second generation Horizon TV platform is however no longer based on XBMC, and nstead uses technology from RDK and other vendors. In some deployments for low end devices there has also been some use of ActiveVideo's Cloud TV platform.

In  a news release back in May Liberty Global said their ultimate goal was to get 'Horizon' across all of Europe as a "cloud-based set-top box”, which would be “faster, cheaper and provide more functionality than today’s Horizon box.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 78
Flag for a moderator

a version of netflix that makes it all the way to 26% loading, and keeps going Smiley Happy

modjo30
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 78
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to see a long overdue complete change of software, one that actually works fast and not like something from the 90's, The Sky box software has been fast for years yet Virgin's software is still terrible and very slow

cruising
Superfast
Message 5 of 78
Flag for a moderator

Main requirement...........to start with...... forget all the fancy stuff.

Test the box to ensure beyond doubt that the thing is reliable,reliable, reliable.

For heavens sake, no repeat of the current TIVO reliability and failure to handle new software properly The mess of the past years must be avoided or else Sky Q will run away from the competition.

However....going.on past form VM will have already decided what is best for us (i.e. them) and what we are going to have like it or not.

No amount of well informed forum comments from the people who matter (customers that is) will make the slightest difference to the great God of VM Corporate Policy.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 78
Flag for a moderator

I'm having a guess but if it can run 4k Netflix it needs about a 35meg download speed, now I would assume that would be a big ask unless you can connect it up to your own Ethernet and doing that would eliminate a lot of the problems associated with the old tivo

EvoUK
Superfast
Message 7 of 78
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree with that!

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 78
Flag for a moderator

modjo30 wrote:

I'd like to see a long overdue complete change of software, one that actually works fast and not like something from the 90's, The Sky box software has been fast for years yet Virgin's software is still terrible and very slow

The TV V6 will have the ability to run the updated Horizon UI should VM decide to deploy it. I believe that is Liberty Global's ultimate aim.

dannylau wrote:

I'm having a guess but if it can run 4k Netflix it needs about a 35meg download speed, now I would assume that would be a big ask unless you can connect it up to your own Ethernet and doing that would eliminate a lot of the problems associated with the old tivo

If it is likely to need 35Mbps down then everyone in a high contention area may as well forget it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
MrSoton
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 78
Flag for a moderator

A game changer for me would be to see Plex on the new Tivo.

Id also like to have the gui running off ssd to avoid the lag of hdd.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 78
Flag for a moderator

MrSoton wrote:

A game changer for me would be to see Plex on the new Tivo.

Id also like to have the gui running off ssd to avoid the lag of hdd.

An SSD would make no difference to speed, the OS is tiny and An SSD is not best suited to record and wipe continuously ie buffer and a 1 or 2 TB SSD drive would make the box stupidly expensive

0 Kudos