Menu
Steve101_
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

What routers can i buy?

I usually buy a better router than the one provided by my ISP and was wondering if i can just use any kind of router, or does it have to be a modem?

For example would a standard wireless duel band router which supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz work fine with virgin.

I know i don't need to be pluged into the phone line with my package so is any router still going to work fine?

I also wouldn't mind some suggestions of some either, was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C58-Wireless-Supports/product-reviews/B01JYT38N8/ref=cm_cr_a...

Would it better than virgins standard box though?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What routers can i buy?

Let's just clarify one important thing.  You cannot simply substitute a Virgin Media Superhub for a modem/router of your choosing.  The VM hub has to remain connected to the VM cable to receive any service.  What you do is set the hub to Modem Mode in the menus and then attach a router of your choice to the hub with an Ethernet cable.

If you look at my sig you will see what I am using but maybe a bit out of your price range.   My Asus router gives noticeably improved Wi-Fi range compared to the hub when it was in router mode as well as providing so many more configurable features.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Steve101_ wrote:

Just realised that after i posted about putting it into modem mode.

So my computer will be plugged directly into the router which will be plugged into the virgin hub.

The superhub had gigabit ports?

If so the only reason for getting a router to plug into the superhub while on modem mode would be to improve wifi connectivity, correct?

Yes that's pretty much it Steve.

Electron
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

not only wifi

there setting timed access to devices

having QOS controls

changing DNS at router level...

a good router of your own will do a range of things that are not in the virgin hub

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Let's just clarify one important thing.  You cannot simply substitute a Virgin Media Superhub for a modem/router of your choosing.  The VM hub has to remain connected to the VM cable to receive any service.  What you do is set the hub to Modem Mode in the menus and then attach a router of your choice to the hub with an Ethernet cable.

If you look at my sig you will see what I am using but maybe a bit out of your price range.   My Asus router gives noticeably improved Wi-Fi range compared to the hub when it was in router mode as well as providing so many more configurable features.

Electron
Steve101_
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So my computer will be plugged directly into the router which will be plugged into the virgin hub.

If so the only reason for getting a router to plug into the superhub while on modem mode would be to improve wifi connectivity, correct?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Steve101_ wrote:

Yes that's pretty much it Steve.

Electron
Steve101_
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

not only wifi

there setting timed access to devices

having QOS controls

changing DNS at router level...

a good router of your own will do a range of things that are not in the virgin hub

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You can purchase any router that is marked as a "cable router". ADSL/VDSL router's are not ideal.

My current pick would be the Asus RT-AC87U (though cheaper models may do your purposes):

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC87U/

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I currently use a draytek 2850 which I recently got off ebay for 30 quid to replace the 2820 I had.
It allows me to load balance my virgin cable with a bt adsl connection I have as well as supports vpn etc..

0 Kudos
reaper0374
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

To add to one of the previous posts, I also use an ASUS RT-AC68U along with my Superhub in Modem Mode, and have found it to be excellent.

You also get an App for your iPhone/iPad (Not sure about Android) that lets you access the router and easily make changes to the settings etc. If you so desire, you can also turn off internet access on a device-by-device basis, which is great for annoying the kids with! Smiley Tongue

dejavus
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve,

Sorry if this is an old thread, I also recently Joined Vm and currently have Plusnet fibre through adsl, I have also bought a draytek 2850 and managed to  setup the plusnet successfully on the draytek but having trouble setting up the VM and specifically setting up the load balancing if I can get it to work.

Can you please help me with your settings.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos