Menu
Jordan84792
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What is the best RJ45 Cable (Ethernet Cable) to use with Virgin Media?

Capture.PNG

To start with, I have provided the above table, and not included anything below Category 5e.

Okay let's begin, for starts. I do not know what cable Virgin Media Hubs support or if they support all cables so knowing that all cables are supported or if any are not support would be great information.

Secondly, I think I wouldn't  want to go below Category 6 so what would you guys suggest I go for Category 6, Category 6a or Category 7?

I assume anything over Category 5e you'd barely see a difference in speeds anyway but would it be a good idea for me to just buy Category 7 cable to future proof myself? I only plan on buying 1m of whatever cable I choose to buy it's going to be used for my gaming PC. My router is literally right next to my PC case.

My motherboard includes the latest Intel Ethernet (I219-V) Technology for fastest internet for gaming also and I'm trying to decide if I also go for the fastest cable as in Category 7. I also know Category 7 is 10 Gbits which is more than the motherboard handles since it handles 1Gbits.

I just want to recieve some advice from people with more experience with all the different RJ45 Categories. I maybe older Categories are better than newer ones I do not really know so whatever information people can provide will be muchly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What is the best RJ45 Cable (Ethernet Cable) to use with Virgin Media?

There shouldn't be any issue running a cat7 cable to the hub, other people have done so with no problem, but the hub ports them selves are 1Gb max. I replaced all of my cat 5e cables with a mix of cat 6 and cat 6 a (depending on what I could source locally.) Not that I'll be running 1Gb broadband any time soon as I generally go for the low tier broadband speeds.

If you want to future proof and forget about it, go with the latest spec. Cat 6 / Cat 6A would be a happy middle ground though.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jordan,

Any of the Cats will work with VM's hubs.  I also have a Superhub 2ac and I use Cat 6a.  I have found these Duronic Ethernet 6a cables to be well made and excellent value ...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FSACB4K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Jordan84792
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention I have the 'Super Hub 2ac"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There shouldn't be any issue running a cat7 cable to the hub, other people have done so with no problem, but the hub ports them selves are 1Gb max. I replaced all of my cat 5e cables with a mix of cat 6 and cat 6 a (depending on what I could source locally.) Not that I'll be running 1Gb broadband any time soon as I generally go for the low tier broadband speeds.

If you want to future proof and forget about it, go with the latest spec. Cat 6 / Cat 6A would be a happy middle ground though.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jordan,

Any of the Cats will work with VM's hubs.  I also have a Superhub 2ac and I use Cat 6a.  I have found these Duronic Ethernet 6a cables to be well made and excellent value ...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FSACB4K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos