Menu
nixzee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin coax cable choice!

We had virgin fitted (2 x set top boxes and broadband etc) There were issues with the signal levels (quite low) and were never resolved so i took matters into my own hands by firstly replacing the 240v booster splitter they installed with a cheap non powered splitter from maplins that immediately improved picture quality. There was a lot of excess internal coax cable that i have now replaced with 75 ohm cable from a website called "cables-and-more" really cheap cable and i have cut it open and better quality than the virgin cable i cut open and makes a lot of difference in the colours and the blacks on screen and you can order it in various lengths with f plugs pre manufactured, it's also a lot more flexible. I'm wondering if i could use this cable externally without any issues or is that why virgin use poor quality but well insulated and armour proteted cable and also use it internally as it is cost effective???? Oh the next thing to go is the Technetix Tris-1002L

redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin coax cable choice!

lol they not going to like you.your gonna get folk moaning.they be saying you make the network unstable and all the street will suffer,and that the cable is rare to get hold off.wf100 cable not used it myself.theres many different types of the cable though.and if the cable lenth had any impact on snr or power levels why do vm send self install kits out.at my old address i had sh 1 connected to a 1 meter lenth cable ok.when i bought my new house there there was already a cable installed around the skirting approximately 17 feet vm sent me a new sh 1 self install no probs iv even posted router stats on here no problems.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

if i was VM i'd be disconnecting your install for breaking the T&C before it affects the network. you can;t go modifying the network because you think you know better
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
if i was VM i'd be disconnecting your install for breaking the T&C before it affects the network. you can;t go modifying the network because you think you know better

We've been here before & the OP already knows this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/separate-input-to-router-as-opposed-to-internal-splitt...

Of course, if using his home connection to post he is traceable, so let the powers that be deal with it.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
nixzee
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

VM don't seem too concerned providing they get paid each month!

0 Kudos
nixzee
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Going to pop over maplins tomorrow and try out (product code: MG81C)

and get rid of those pathetic 12V AC Adaptors that were supplied with the

Router and set top box!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Morning nixzee,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

In regards to changing the cabling, this is the property of Virgin Media and any changes required need to be completed by an authorised Virgin Media engineer. If you do change this yourself it can cause an impact on the local network and not only cause issues with your connection but with other customers also.

I have taken a look at your connection and the upstream power levels are too high at 56 dBmV. I can arrange for an engineer to check this over for you. If you would like to go ahead with this, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

nixzee wrote:

Going to pop over maplins tomorrow and try out (product code: MG81C)

and get rid of those pathetic 12V AC Adaptors that were supplied with the

Router and set top box!

Fat lot of good that will do you!  It's only rated at 0.5Amp.  The original Superhub needs a 1.5A supply and the later SH2 and SH2ac need a 2.5A supply.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Synthetic
Superfast
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, please leave it to Virgin.

In my last place someone decided to try and do some DIY with sub par cables and ended up causing issues for the entire apartment block.

I believe he was hit with a hefty fee to resolve it Smiley Happy
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hopefully the engineer to fix the power levels is a non fault callout as its a user created fault.