Menu
Settling in
Message 1 of 5 (384 Views)

Virgin Media Hub 3.0

I am just about to become a new broadband customer and I see references to problems with the Hub 3.0.  Could someone tell me if there are still problems with this Hub and what the issues are in simple tech language if possible.  I want to avoid signing up to a problem if possible. Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5 (746 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Mike1701
‎10-03-2017 09:05

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3.0

Main problem is latency, which you'll only really notice as lag if you play real time games.

Ans the 2ndary problem is that it's been simplified to the point that you can'd do much with it beyond connecting to the internet.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (743 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Mike1701

This kind of question is excellent but frustrating in equal measure. I'll do my best to reassure but it would be wrong to say that there aren't issues with Hub 3 that remain unresolved. They are mainly to do with the chip-set that the Hub uses. However for normal operation the Hub 3 seems perfectly satisfactory. But if you are a serious gamer you should read this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

I think it would be fair to say that all these kinds of combined service delivery hubs combined with basic routers designed for residential use have issues no matter which ISP you use.  VM requires you to use its Hub to get the broadband signal into your equipment because Virgin media broadband differs significantly in the way it is transmitted from broadband over your phone line. Nothing in this world is perfect and software releases to correct issues are regularly and automatically downloaded for you. 

Remember if it doesn't suit or this has put you off you can cancel without penalty, but you'll have to do it quickly if that is what you decide.  But you will not find that the broadband down your phone line suppliers offer the kinds of speed that you can get from VM.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5 (747 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Mike1701

Main problem is latency, which you'll only really notice as lag if you play real time games.

Ans the 2ndary problem is that it's been simplified to the point that you can'd do much with it beyond connecting to the internet.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (744 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Mike1701

This kind of question is excellent but frustrating in equal measure. I'll do my best to reassure but it would be wrong to say that there aren't issues with Hub 3 that remain unresolved. They are mainly to do with the chip-set that the Hub uses. However for normal operation the Hub 3 seems perfectly satisfactory. But if you are a serious gamer you should read this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

I think it would be fair to say that all these kinds of combined service delivery hubs combined with basic routers designed for residential use have issues no matter which ISP you use.  VM requires you to use its Hub to get the broadband signal into your equipment because Virgin media broadband differs significantly in the way it is transmitted from broadband over your phone line. Nothing in this world is perfect and software releases to correct issues are regularly and automatically downloaded for you. 

Remember if it doesn't suit or this has put you off you can cancel without penalty, but you'll have to do it quickly if that is what you decide.  But you will not find that the broadband down your phone line suppliers offer the kinds of speed that you can get from VM.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5 (228 Views)

Mike1701 wrote:

I am just about to become a new broadband customer and I see references to problems with the Hub 3.0.  Could someone tell me if there are still problems with this Hub and what the issues are in simple tech language if possible.  I want to avoid signing up to a problem if possible. Thank you.

It's terrible. Usable in Modem Only mode if you want to put a better router on there, but that seems to both defeat the point but also breaks the V6 TV service too it seems (not that Virgin knows what's wrong).

You cannot change the network range - so if you want or NEED to have anything but 192.168.0.x for your range, tough. 

If you need to change the DNS servers used... tough

The list goes on. 

That's before we get to the well publicised and totally unfixed issues with the puma chipset and the latency spiking (also enough to ruin my internet use - especially when you consider I specifically bought the version that is supposed to be low lag for gamers... sigh...)

It's just another part of the totally unsatisfactory and not fit for purpose service they're offering.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5 (227 Views)

HowardML wrote:

Hah, you're funny. Virgin won't let you cancel because the service isn't fit for purpose. They're fighting me every step of the way over the numerous issues with the shoddy garbage they're providing as a "service"

As for the comment re the speeds - sure, the headline speed Virgin offers is better, but in the real world my 80/20 FTTC service with Sky outperforms Virgin in the metrics that really matter - reliabilityThere's absolutely no competition. 

0 Kudos