Menu
gabijoyce04
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Cloud

I am devastated to be informed today that virgin media has deleted all my images saved to the cloud service they had available up until the 28/04/2016.

When calling customer services after trying to access saved images of my daughter when she was only a year old, that I have saved no where else and are precious to me, I have been told that an email was sent to customers around the 7th March 2016 to inform them that they had to remove their photos by a specific date 26/04/2016 or they would be deleted.

When searching virgin media help for virgin cloud it directs you to a link where you can access any files you have saved. There is no information detailing a limited period of time to access this.

Please can somebody show me a copy of this supposed correspondence that was sent to customers as I did not receive any notice. I changed my mobile phone in April 2016 and I had to download the app on the phone again and there was no indication at that point on the app that the account was being deleted. There should have been a notification when you log in to indicate that they were removing the service.

The attitude of the customer services is that they cannot retrieve the files now and that's it, no responsibility taken for the misleading information still available online and that they have informed customers of the deadline via post.

please share this correspondence if you have a copy thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Cloud

Not sure how seeing the correspondence helps but here you go, the email I got on 29/03/2016:

Upcoming changes to our line-up
Hello Scott,
Hopefully you’ll have seen our letter about our plan to close VirginMedia Cloud and Webspace. We just thought we’d send a quick email to remind you what’s happening and when.
To recap, we’ve decided to stop offering Virgin Media Cloud and Webspace because more and more of our customers are choosing to use alternative apps and services.
As you've used Virgin Media Cloud and Webspace in the past, here’s what you need to know.
Webspace
Before Webspace closes on 28th April, don’t forget that we’ve teamed up with GoDaddy® – a world-leader in Domain Names, Websites and Web Hosting – to bring you 12 months' free hosting services, plus a free website builder. That's a tidy saving of £59.88 over the year, with extras including:
A free domain name (.co.uk or .uk, saving you £4)
A free email account connected to your domain name
A clever website builder that makes it easy to upload text and images (bye-bye, HTML!)
1GB of storage (that’s more room and flexibility than Webspace)
150GB bandwidth (so if your site goes viral, it'll stay online)
Get started by entering your unique code xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx virginmedia.com/webspace (terms and conditions apply).
Remember – you’ll need to save the content from your website before 28th April to avoid losing your content.
Virgin Media Cloud
It's reassuring to have somewhere safe for all your digital valuables. So before we close Virgin Media Cloud on 28th April, please remember to download your family photos, videos and documents to a local device to make sure you don’t lose anything. This might take a few steps if you’ve got a lot of stuff. You won’t be able to upload anything to Virgin Media Cloud after this date.
If you’d like to back up your stuff again, why not try Dropbox? With 2GB of storage, Dropbox lets you back up all the stuff you currently have on Virgin Media Cloud, and even share big files. Better still, it works on all your devices – seamlessly syncing your files between them. Plus, you'll bag an extra 3GB of storage if you link the Dropbox app to your phone camera. And when you recommend Dropbox to your nearest and dearest, you'll get a bonus 500MB for each referral.
For help downloading your stuff and setting up your Dropbox account, visit virginmedia.com/cloud (terms and conditions apply).
And don’t worry – if you’re currently paying for extra storage, we won’t charge you a penny in March and April.
Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

I also got a letter in the post.  Unfortunately you have learned the hard way that important files should never be stored in a single location, especially one that is run by somebody else.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

gabijoyce04
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I did not receive a letter or an email, but at least you did.

Cheers m'dear

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for your loss of data. I've worked in IT for well over 40 years and one thing you learn very soon is 'back it up', oh and to make sure back it up again just for luck. Sure as eggs is eggs you'll lose one of them.

Even I know a number of people who have photos on their phone they really do not want to lose, but never back them up. I keep thelling them to make at least two copies of everything. If it moves, back it up.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Terri2
Just joined
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I too am also devastated to have lost my pictures. I did have them backed up elsewhere but lost them and took comfort knowing I had them stored in the virgin cloud. It wasn't until I came to add more pictures to my cloud account that I discovered it had been closed. I cannot believe that these cannot be retrieved. I am so upset. Whoever managed this closure in virgin would surely know more about this and might be able to help but even the virgin employees  I speak to seem to know nothing about this.

pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Personally I do not use my ISP for any services except the internet. I would rather use other providers for cloud storage and email as they tend to be more professional and long lasting.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
gabijoyce04
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Apparently they claim that if anyone else has been effected they would have had complaints. Let see how many more people have been effects
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

gabijoyce04 wrote:
Apparently they claim that if anyone else has been effected they would have had complaints. Let see how many more people have been effects

It's been over 8 months since VM removed this service.

I would surmise that affected customers who have lost data would have complained/expressed their feelings long before now, along with all those who lost their free webspace at the same time.

It's a hard lesson to learn. If you are not paying for a service, or a service is advertised as "added value" then you are the service. The provider will feel free to reduce, or indeed remove that service with no compunction whatsoever.

VM are now providing their webmail/email service as an "added value" service. If that's not enough reason to move to an ISP independent email provider I don't know what is.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
gabijoyce04
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's what vm said however if I had been made aware I would have been complaining about it sooner. It's the fact I recieved no notification and that they feel it is ok to have deleted my property. Yes a lesson learned obviously but as for the rest its a disgrace.
0 Kudos