Menu
mitchyk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM DNS

Hi all, a domain I own expired a few days ago without me realising, So yesterday around this time I renewed it (123-reg) and because i already owned it all DNS / Nameservers were remembered (site hosted with hostmedia), so it's been a day and the site is not back up.  My question is how often do your DNS servers update - The site is working on my phone (virginmedia) and at work and a few other ISP's but not yours.  I have flushed DNS and no joy. If I set my DNS server to uses googles 8.8.8.8 the site resolves correctly.  Site : www.barandwok.com

Cheers
Mike

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM DNS

it can take 72 hours.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it can take 72 hours.
mitchyk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply - Marked as answered and Kudos given

VM, any reason why your DNS is so far behind other ISP's ? Is there anything you can change anywhere to catch up a bit ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i can explain this.
Almost all DNS server have the same TTL.
Becuase you requested the domain name on the VM DNS you use it will of looked it up from the name server and cached it. It then has to expire before it checks again for chances.

This is why changing to another dns server that has never checked makes it get the current IP.

If you had not checked the domain on the VM dns before renewing it it would of worked right away.
mitchyk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, you learn something new every day, thanks again for your help :-)

0 Kudos
Dav1dT
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ive noticed the same thing.. the virgin dns servers seem to take a lot longer to update than google.
Google took less than 15mins... still waiting on virgin dns to chamge after a day and a half.

Does anyone know why this is and is there a good reason for it?

After i realised it was a DNS problem i've manually set the dns servers on my PC to use google (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) when means I can work ok but i still wonder why the extended delay for virgin dns to update?

The domain TTL values (registered on godaddy) used by both dns (google and virgin) servers will be the same. I suspect they must be used (or perhaps ignored?) differently.

The dns problem arose when i moved hosting of the site to hostgator and updated my godaddy nameserver settings to point to the hostgator name server.

I did this before (1-2 years ago) for another site without any problem with virgin dns so something has changed in that time.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dav1dT wrote:
Ive noticed the same thing.. the virgin dns servers seem to take a lot longer to update than google.
Google took less than 15mins... still waiting on virgin dns to chamge after a day and a half.

VM aren't Google, they don't own multiple data centers each worth multiple trillion pounds nor do they have the unlimited free bandwidth/ultra low cost bandwidth like Google have to be able to check every website online every <=15 mins.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.