Menu
n_s_simpson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VDSL/ADSL FTTC Query

I have VM fibre and am not looking to switch. I have a question that I'm just intrigued about...

In our area the BT cabinet was upgraded to FTTC a long time ago so BT Infinity's VDSL service is available (what they misleadingly call a fibre service).

My question is this... If a customer goes for ADSL is this just the protocol used between the customer and the cabinet? Would the cabinet then use fibre to communicate back to the exchange since the connection is there already or would it use its existing copper connection?

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: VDSL/ADSL FTTC Query

ADSL is copper right back to the exchange. That's why its a cheaper service than fibre.

All explained here:

http://deucethemes.com/whats-the-difference-between-adsl-vdsl-and-fibre-internet/

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

from: https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/fibre_optic_broadband/

Fibre broadband through BT Openreach is widely available across the UK. For most customers, the top speed BT Openreach fibre can provide is 76Mbps; however, if you're lucky enough to live in an area where BT has rolled out its super-fast "fibre-to-the-premises" service, you can get a speed of up to 300Mbps.

0 Kudos
aytrixtech
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

FTTC is Fiber-To-The-Cabinet.  what you need to consider is FTTP or Fiber To The Property.

While BT have installed Cabinets capable of Fiber connections these are not necessarily available to the property themselves.  If this "fiber" line involves any kind of copper connection then you will only get an ADSL connection.

ADSL is typically upto 17Mb

I Work for Virgin Media - All Opinions are my own
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

aytrixtech wrote:

FTTC is Fiber-To-The-Cabinet.  what you need to consider is FTTP or Fiber To The Property.

While BT have installed Cabinets capable of Fiber connections these are not necessarily available to the property themselves.  If this "fiber" line involves any kind of copper connection then you will only get an ADSL connection.

ADSL is typically upto 17Mb

No. ..... Fibre to the Cabinet, then copper (or aluminium) to the house is still VDSL, not ADSL.  This is how my house is supplied for BT VDSL.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

n_s_simpson wrote:

In our area the BT cabinet was upgraded to FTTC a long time ago so BT Infinity's VDSL service is available (what they misleadingly call a fibre service).

Virgin also misleadingly call their service fibre when in fact it is also fibre to the cabinet. Only difference with the connection to the property is they use copper coax to the house and BT use twisted pairs.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

yeah virginmedia operate mainly on a HFC network hybrid fibre coax. e.g. -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
n_s_simpson
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think most people misunderstood my question apart from Adduxi.
So if the cabinet has been upgraded to fibre to the exchange then it'll use that connection for both ADSL and VDSL services rather than the existing copper?

(I know it's copper to the premises but I'm not referring to that.)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When they upgrade the area to VDSL they install a new cabinet close to the old one. ADSL still uses the copper cables all the way back to the exchange from the old cabinet. Only VDSL uses the fibre connection to the exchange from the new cabinet. When you get VDSL the old copper cables to your property are transferred to the new fibre cabinet. That's how I understood it work anyway.

Dave.

0 Kudos
n_s_simpson
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It seems a bit of a waste not to upgrade the existing box to communicate back to the exchange using the same fibre optic cable.

0 Kudos