Menu
TheAspiringNerd
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thinking about getting Fiber however....

So currently I am with sky and the speed is ungodly awful. I'm looking to get Fiber however the state of Fiber in my road is that they are currently in the design process. Does virgin media offer Fiber to premises with their broadband. I really need a better speed as I'm a uni student and a gamer and with the current speeds I get its a hassle to do anything.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking about getting Fiber however....

Mostly VM offers fiber to the cabinet, but the connection from the cabinet to your home is coaxial as apposed to BTs twisted pair so can offer higher speeds.

However if you look through these forums you can see nothing is guaranteed, on the other hand happy people don't tend to comment.

One thing to be aware of is that Virgins upstream speeds can't go as high as bt infinities.

Also does virgin cover your area?

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Most existing VM customers are on Fibre To The Cabinet with the drop cable from the street cabinet to the property being high quality multi-shielded coaxial cable.

VM have an ongoing 'Project Lightning' for new-builds which uses Fibre To The Property so if your street is not cabled yet it's just possible that you will have access to FTTP.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TheAspiringNerd wrote:
So currently I am with sky and the speed is ungodly awful. I'm looking to get Fiber however the state of Fiber in my road is that they are currently in the design process. Does virgin media offer Fiber to premises with their broadband. I really need a better speed as I'm a uni student and a gamer and with the current speeds I get its a hassle to do anything.

You state that fibre is at the "design process". Are you sure this refers to Virgin Media infrastructure?

BT & some other private operators are installing Fibre services, but these are all in relation to network services run from BT exchanges (BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc). This does not include Virgin Media. They have their own network infrastructure connected to network "headends" & have nothing to do with the BT network.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TheAspiringNerd wrote:
So currently I am with sky and the speed is ungodly awful. I'm looking to get Fiber however the state of Fiber in my road is that they are currently in the design process.
Post your area and maybe we can give you more accurate info.
Does virgin media offer Fiber to premises with their broadband. I really need a better speed as I'm a uni student and a gamer and with the current speeds I get its a hassle to do anything.

High speed doesn't reduce latency or improve gaming. You may be better off latency wise on Sky, depending how bad it is.

Virgin offer the same speed packages over FTTP as they do over cable. So only long-term reliability should be improved, but there are no metrics to support that. Users on FTTP would still suffer from congestion and low speeds in some areas where there is not enough capacity for all users as they use the same DOCSIS channel frequencies we all do on cable.

It's NOT the same product that BT OpenReach do with GEA FTTP, that goes up to 1Gbps.

Higher speeds are mainly good for downloading, streaming video etc.

Currently you can get up to a 300Mb package on Virgin.