Menu
andrewdoran
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Telephone pole sharing BT and Virgin

IS this an actual thing? I only ask because in my new place there is BT internet access across phone wires strung from a pole to the house.

From what I have been told if there is more than 70 metres from the Virgin Media kerbside box then there is no chance of a connection.

I have however noticed in an adjacent street there are CATV manholes in the pavement. From the last manhole with minimal ducting across a communal garden, there is an approx 15m run to the telephone pole and from there a direct cable run to our house of approx 25 metres.

Win-win for everyone surely ? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Telephone pole sharing BT and Virgin

It's a valuable topic. In the USA (New York state, for example), which is built on granite, pole strung fibre is in common use.

With regard to the 70m distance from the VM green box - Dave_cq has answered that question well. A daisy chain of green boxes on a long street are usually separated up to 250m.

So, have you spoken to VM about your situation?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No. There isn't such a thing between BT and Virgin Media.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media does not use telegraph poles or telephone wires ... their service is delivered via dedicated underground cables.   I am located over 250 metres from the Virgin Media street cabinet and get perfect broadband speeds of 74mbps (I'm on the 70 mbps service).  Virgin supplies its landline telephone service through a dedicated cable too ... absolutely nothing to do with BT/Openreach.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
andrewdoran
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am aware that Virigin does not use BT cabling and normally uses its own equipment to get to the user.

However

There were some articles in the media

http://www.alphr.com/news/broadband/361768/virgin-planning-network-expansion-on-bt-poles-and-ducts

and

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/bt-openreach-to-open-up-ducts-and-poles-to-other-p...

saying that Virgin was seeking to use some BT poles ducting to expand network coverage.

Just saying is all!

Would be nice to have access to more than 40Mb/s

Andrew

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Never got pursued, & I doubt it ever will. Overhead cabling is far more vulnerable to problems than underground cabling.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's a valuable topic. In the USA (New York state, for example), which is built on granite, pole strung fibre is in common use.

With regard to the 70m distance from the VM green box - Dave_cq has answered that question well. A daisy chain of green boxes on a long street are usually separated up to 250m.

So, have you spoken to VM about your situation?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

andrewdoran
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone pole sharing BT and Virgin Media and Usain Bolt

Yes, was a Virgin Media Customer in London for many years, had one of the first broadband connections (512Kb/s) so I expected to carry on the service in Liverpool.

NO CHANCE!

There is fibre in the lower part of the street, maybe 75m away, From the next street there is Virgin Media service about 40m away access by the afore-mentioned telephone pole, and from the cross street at the top of our road there is service about 15-20m away. 

The retirement apartments new door, 10m away, are according to the online checker good to connect up to the network, even though no-one has connected and I don't believe they really are as no-one in 50 or so flats has a cable connection according to the staff I talked to, no box or cables anywhere.

I have asked many times and spoken to many helpful, some unhelpful, people who said sorry. Computer says no ducting in your part of the street ( cheapskate developer wouldn't pay for ducting to be laid past the houses), so NO service for you. One very nice chap said Virgin has spent all of the budget for network expansion and you wont get a connection anytime in the near future, also Virgin spent all the remaining moola on hiring Usain Bolt for adverts. 

Sad but there you are.

Its all Usain Bolt's fault!

0 Kudos