Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (153 Views)

Telephone pole sharing BT and Virgin

IS this an actual thing? I only ask because in my new place there is BT internet access across phone wires strung from a pole to the house.

From what I have been told if there is more than 70 metres from the Virgin Media kerbside box then there is no chance of a connection.

I have however noticed in an adjacent street there are CATV manholes in the pavement. From the last manhole with minimal ducting across a communal garden, there is an approx 15m run to the telephone pole and from there a direct cable run to our house of approx 25 metres.

Win-win for everyone surely ? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 6 (150 Views)

Re: Telephone pole sharing BT and Virgin

No. There isn't such a thing between BT and Virgin Media.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6 (148 Views)

Virgin Media does not use telegraph poles or telephone wires ... their service is delivered via dedicated underground cables.   I am located over 250 metres from the Virgin Media street cabinet and get perfect broadband speeds of 74mbps (I'm on the 70 mbps service).  Virgin supplies its landline telephone service through a dedicated cable too ... absolutely nothing to do with BT/Openreach.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6 (104 Views)

I am aware that Virigin does not use BT cabling and normally uses its own equipment to get to the user.

However

There were some articles in the media

http://www.alphr.com/news/broadband/361768/virgin-planning-network-expansion-on-bt-poles-and-ducts

and

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/bt-openreach-to-open-up-ducts-and-poles-to-other-p...

saying that Virgin was seeking to use some BT poles ducting to expand network coverage.

Just saying is all!

Would be nice to have access to more than 40Mb/s

Andrew

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 6 (91 Views)

Never got pursued, & I doubt it ever will. Overhead cabling is far more vulnerable to problems than underground cabling.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6 (74 Views)

It's a valuable topic. In the USA (New York state, for example), which is built on granite, pole strung fibre is in common use.

With regard to the 70m distance from the VM green box - Dave_cq has answered that question well. A daisy chain of green boxes on a long street are usually separated up to 250m.

So, have you spoken to VM about your situation?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)