Menu
Hlc_4
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Superhub causing RCD to trip

Hi, my superhub is causing my electricity to keep tripping - would anyone be able to tell me if this is because the hub may be faulty or is it to do with my circuit? Many Thanks!
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub causing RCD to trip

Have you definitely isolated the cause of the RCD trip to the Superhub? If so I'd guess it's a faulty DC adapter and to be honest I'd ring Virgin and just ask them to change both the hub and adapter. They may wish to send an engineer to check everything, but if the hub has been in situ for a while without causing problems I doubt it's your circuit.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Hlc_4
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's great thanks. I've definitely isolated it to the hub. It's been working fine for 4 months which made me wonder if something is wrong with it. I'll contact Virgin and take it from there. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
g0hjq
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In that case I would be very careful.

tts possible that there a high leakage current from the mains input to the output of your power supply, in which case the output jack could have a dangerous voltage if you disconnect it from your router.

Alternatively, it could just be that your RCD is over sensitive. Does anything else trip it?

Hlc_4 wrote:
That's great thanks. I've definitely isolated it to the hub. It's been working fine for 4 months which made me wonder if something is wrong with it. I'll contact Virgin and take it from there. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

RCDs these days are very reliable and as it's probably a 30ma trip it would be tripping correctly. Essentially they measure the differential between live and neutral which leaks to earth. RCDs are very good, but unless you have a split box with two of them, when they trip they take out the whole house. I prefer RCBOs and have 10 in my house protecting all circuits, so if one bit of equipment trips the RCBO it only takes out one circuit, say downstairs ring main. All my computer equipment is on one RCBO.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Hlc_4,

Sorry to hear about this. :/

I've located your account and there does appear to be some power issues present via the equipment levels.

I've sent you a private message so that we can discuss potentially arranging an engineer visit for this.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The N neutral line in AC mains is effectively earth. I know it seems strange but if you look at the HT pylons you will see mostly 7 wires, one small one at the top which is tied to earth and 3 on each side, these are two lots of three 3 phase connections. So where is the neutral line? There isn't one it's not needed. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought in addition to the above excellent advice.

Is the HUB plugged into a power strip?

Ive had a power strip go bad whereby anything plugged into one of the sockets caused the RCB to trip.

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Clint_Flick wrote:

My point is that there is no return path (it is a plastic pin from a plastic case) other than the neutral, so an out of balance cannot occur.

However... it is very common for antenna screening to be connected to the 0v rail in equipment. It is also usual for screening to be connected to earth in earthed equipment. If isolation has failed this can provide quite a low impedance earth path.

It's rare but not impossible.

-

It'd be interesting to know if the OP has got it solved. 

0 Kudos
IKbrunel
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is the screen on VM co-ax cable at earth potential?
Is there any isolation provided in the internal connecting box/socket?

0 Kudos