0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 32 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Massive Flaws

Sephiroth wrote:

couerdelion wrote:

Running the hub in router mode was going to be the way forward but now I hear that there are problems with the Ethernet port firmware from Intel which causes the ports to run agonisingly slowly when in modem-only mode...great!

Will VM actually get anything right?

Can we check that out?  What is the source of that suggestion?

In your latest post you quoted 4 sources.  In ONE of them, there was this:

Please note that earlier this year there was a separate issue that affected modem mode whereby the ethernet port had issues with port flapping meaning that there were frequent disconnections when using modem mode but the latest firmware (9.1.116V) has resolved this now. 

Unfortunately, you got your facts wrong.  The port flapping problem had nothing to do with anything running "agonisingly slow".  It was a disconnection problem between the VM end and the Hub, now resolved (you said "Will VM get anything right?").

The Register & ISP Preview sources described something equally serious that some games suffer; namely the DOCSIS chip being underpowered for the task demand and thus invoking maintenance tasks that have a negative latency effect.  No fix for this (from Intel) has yet been announced.  That said, my son, when a FPS came, reports no latency issue whatsoever.

I hope that clears it all up.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

superssonic
Joining in
Message 33 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Even logging into this page to type this hides the password. The superhub 3 is a pile of S. Why would you remove the safety of hidden password. Also they seem to have removed all the lights bar 1. The lights on the hub 2 that showed it was actualy working, ooh clever move must be to save 1p on a led. Also it seems there are many many bugs in the software that VM dont care about fixing. I have the invalid data Steerlist problem that VM have said they have no idea what i am on about despite the printout of so many people with this issue. Whoever made these crap hubs should hang their heads in shame. Or the useless programmers at virgin who refuse to fix the bugs people keep telling them about.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 34 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I agree the Hub 3 is somewhat a pile of doggy potatoes,

However they do still have 4 lights on the Hub 3's front, however one is for phone features that are yet enabled, and the other two show the status of the wireless and cable connection which only show when there is an issue or during start up.

I think this was a way of please the power usage conscious and also due to the fact these hubs more than often end up in the centre of entertainment centres and by TV's people used to complain about the flashing lights being distracting.

As for the software, yes it could be much better and is sluggish as hell, I also don't like the password not being encrypted, however this is an issue that seems to be tied to the manufacturer of the product (Arris) 

I hope Arris do hang their heads in shame, there broadband equipment often attracts a lot of complaints across the world, and all suffer similar or exact same faults as those in the UK.

As someone who is soon moving to Canada, I'm glad I've already found a cable operator that will let me choose between using a Hub or just a simple wired modem.... not to mention the access to a new DOCSIS 3.1 network... though we'll see where I end up.

I know that I will be using a Technicolor DOCSIS 3.0 modem capable of connecting to 32DS & 8US channels, so I shall be very happy with that and a Google WiFi AP Smiley Very Happy 

Glad to be free from Virgin, though might be 2020 before I see the £133 they owe me.

0 Kudos