Menu
couerdelion
Tuning in
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Massive Flaws

Running the hub in router mode was going to be the way forward but now I hear that there are problems with the Ethernet port firmware from Intel which causes the ports to run agonisingly slowly when in modem-only mode...great!

Will VM actually get anything right?

0 Kudos
Chiny
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi be thankful for Modem Mode. A lot of ISP's don't even bother with this option. ......

Absolutely, I'll add my thanks to VM for permitting modem mode - congratulations Smiley Very Happy

For the opposition, let me chortle and laugh at their rotting wood poles (one replaced locally that was so dangerous, a special team was called in) and green copper wires.   Just a few miles away, running along a major trunk road is several hundred yards of seriously thick (important) cable, draped in a fence, lying on a bike track, slightly in the way of walkers - an outage waiting to happen.

Garry

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

couerdelion wrote:

Running the hub in router mode was going to be the way forward but now I hear that there are problems with the Ethernet port firmware from Intel which causes the ports to run agonisingly slowly when in modem-only mode...great!

Will VM actually get anything right?

Can we check that out?  What is the source of that suggestion?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Keep having to reboot the damn thing to get speed back on wireless....

Don't seem to be a problem on 2.4Ghz... only 5Ghz and doesn't matter what channel I set or auto.... also wireless in my are very empty so not airwave congestion.

Also annoyed that uploading is absolutly **** with VM.... suppose I've been spoilt by VDSL services running consistent.

Also wondering why my area still not had upstream channels modulation upgraded, still stuck on 16QAM here whilst most others or every connection I've looked at elsewhere is on 64QAM.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

JitteryPinger wrote:

Also wondering why my area still not had upstream channels modulation upgraded, still stuck on 16QAM here whilst most others or every connection I've looked at elsewhere is on 64QAM.

Is it possible that your configuration is for 64QAM potentially but has been downgraded to 16QAM because you have a noisy connection?  I'm normally on 64 but very occasionally one channel will change to 32 or 16 for a while and I have seen both channels on 16 for a while.  Since VM changed my WAN IP and I think put me on a different routing I have stayed on 64QAM.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I wondered if it would be.... but never seen it go above 16QAM and other connections on the same virgin network as me also still on 16QAM....

ive seen a 64QAM go down to a 32QAM but only 1 of two channels as one time.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Would it be worth me switching back to SH2ac.... 

Part of my upgrade agreement with Virgin was that they let me with SH2ac due to known SH3 issues which was agreed.

So can switch back if I want.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Worth a try. Several people have reported better performance for gaming after doing that. In the long run, VM must fix these flaws either by firmware or by a different hub brand & chip.

What bothers me is the less than honest silence from VM on this subject. They really don't understand customer service. Everything is a big secret that their funders, that's us, must be kept away from. Shameful.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I agree regarding the customer service....

Even the worst of the competition will keep an open forum thread regarding a major issue and keep it updated...

never seen such a thing with Virgin.

Gonna give 150/151 a ring tomorrow and get old Hub reconnected.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Well gave technical a call this morning and they switched my old hub back on without any hesitation.... nice that I didn't have to argue the case.

Then again there should be notes to accompany this request anyway.

Can report that jitter on BQM has reduced and also happy to report that I'm not seein any loss of speed.
0 Kudos