Menu
pogit1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 Christmas Cracker!

apparently according to The VM twits sorry Virgin Twitter account said people on here can help me with the Super Hub 3.

Does anyone here have experience or issues with one I would love to share thoughts but I can't seem to find any threads about it!

*sarcasm
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 Christmas Cracker!

pogit1 wrote:
...Virgin Twitter account said people on here can help me with the Super Hub 3.

Does anyone here have experience or issues with one I would love to share thoughts but I can't seem to find any threads about it!

*sarcasm

Well, Appreciate the frank sarcasm but some of us have been using SH3/VMDG505 since initial public Trials in Sept2015 so if you can elaborate on the specifics then some of us 20 odd SU and possibly several hundred users from 4Q2015 may be able to engage with simliar configurations for comparisons?

That said for those on early (SU) pilots then some of us may not be able to elaborate in great detail due to T&C's which has already cost one valuable member his SU membership attempting to assist the user community. Smiley Sad Post your firmware, basic configuration and your specific questions...
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think you require something more meaty than the SH3.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes for that... modem mode + a more sophisticated router.

0 Kudos
pogit1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well after about two weeks of complete frustration and a chat with the exec team which I should never of had to escalate it too I have rolled back to my SH2 that is having wifi drop outs, but it works so much better than the SH3 it took me less than 3 minutes from full reset to fully working setup.

I am shocked VM are fully aware of these issues yet still send it out, though this appears to be because they have nothing else to send....

So in summary if your a back plug and play user you may never see an issue with SH3 but if you use other than basic gaming, media, file, web, email, cctv, automation servers/equiptment then avoid it at all costs.

I'm slightly disappointed that this situation has occurred and thank those that have tried to assist.

If at some point the SH3 GUI becomes stable please update me and I'll give it another go but in the mean time working equiptment is my priority.

Yes I probably could use a better router but tbh the SH3 is capable just heavily flawed by VM middleware.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

pogit1 wrote:
...Virgin Twitter account said people on here can help me with the Super Hub 3.

*sarcasm

Well, Appreciate the frank sarcasm but some of us have been using SH3/VMDG505 since initial public Trials in Sept2015 so if you can elaborate on the specifics then some of us 20 odd SU and possibly several hundred users from 4Q2015 may be able to engage with simliar configurations for comparisons?

That said for those on early (SU) pilots then some of us may not be able to elaborate in great detail due to T&C's which has already cost one valuable member his SU membership attempting to assist the user community. Smiley Sad Post your firmware, basic configuration and your specific questions...
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
pogit1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The main issue if we ignore the slow, unresponsive gui, is that unpn device seem to create 'virtual' port forward which don't work, then when you try to add them manually it shows an error. The self updating of the router seems to fail at every step making it near impossible to make changes.

Setup:
My home set up is basically SH3router(200MGamer) 001 feeding a Gb network of

Devices:
two NAS that run multiple servers,
two CCTV boxes that connect to and monitor remote systems,
some Apple TVs and ISO devices
some pcs windows 10 and Linux based.
Multiple Home automation devices
4 Sky HD boxes net enable and controlled via wifi
Sky go on mobile devices that now fails to populate the TV guides due to a port being blocked by the SH3
Wifi lighting and sound system, my annual charity Christmas display is on hold because i can't reliably set it up or control it to the previous levels.

Problems include:
The CCTV has a handy feature that uses port 554 to stream via VLC which is handy to show people so the don't have to install custom software.

I moved cctv box 2 from ip 8 to up 11 due to a NAS upgrade then the router fails to wipe previous port forwards (some appear to be unpn)

The router fails to update or reliably monitor connected devices and fails to assign Mac ids which is a pain when you have multiple devices that run services especially when you have temporary devices like the kids and visitors iOS that justo all over the place.

Ok looking at that lots I'm clearly not an average plug and play user but noting on there is complicated just basic network management.

A little about me, previous Cable employee dating back to the dawn of digital days, analogue and digital electronics engineer, network and control systems designer, builder and manager, programmer, ICT regional trouble shooter and trainer, multiple alpha code testers MS A IBM CisCo, ICT security planner, Schools Saftey and policy designer and implement or hardware and software monitoring, control and support on site and remote. And much more

The above is purely to give an indication of working knowledge nothing else I'm well aware that often the fault can lie with me. In fact more so now due to medical conditions but that on compounds things as my main background was using ICT to aid education so I know what good systems can do to aid daily living.

Sorry for the rant...... I'll go get a drink then re dead to see if that makes sense.

*sent using a mobile device using tech aids so is likely to contain multiple errors please excuse these, it takes 4 times longer than normal to produce text etc.*
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think you require something more meaty than the SH3.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes for that... modem mode + a more sophisticated router.

0 Kudos
pogit1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well after about two weeks of complete frustration and a chat with the exec team which I should never of had to escalate it too I have rolled back to my SH2 that is having wifi drop outs, but it works so much better than the SH3 it took me less than 3 minutes from full reset to fully working setup.

I am shocked VM are fully aware of these issues yet still send it out, though this appears to be because they have nothing else to send....

So in summary if your a back plug and play user you may never see an issue with SH3 but if you use other than basic gaming, media, file, web, email, cctv, automation servers/equiptment then avoid it at all costs.

I'm slightly disappointed that this situation has occurred and thank those that have tried to assist.

If at some point the SH3 GUI becomes stable please update me and I'll give it another go but in the mean time working equiptment is my priority.

Yes I probably could use a better router but tbh the SH3 is capable just heavily flawed by VM middleware.
0 Kudos