Menu
victorbomber
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Street Cabling

There are workmen currently installing Virgin Media in our area, and we've had our footpaths dug up and reinstated over the last fortnight or so.

I'm curious how it all works, and so I had a chat with one of the workmen this morning. He explained that they were not putting any cabling in at all, but only the ducting. He said that 'Virgin will be along when we've finished to do the actual cabling'.

I asked him where the broadband signal came from, and he 'explained' that it came from light grey coloured roadside cabinets, (or 'cabs'), which have been appearing, mainly at road junctions. "Yes, but how does it get to those?" He seemed to think that these cabs were the origin of the signal, but they clearly aren't. (I think he was perhaps the wrong person to ask...) It has to come from somewhere, but there is no obvious connection to the outside world from these 'cabs'.

So, where does the signal come from? Where will all this cabling be connected to the outside world, because it is by no means obvious at present.

And how does the cabling get fitted into the ducting? Surely they don't have to dig up the pavements again, or do they? Trained rats to pull it through the ducting? Radio-controlled miniature haulage machines?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Street Cabling

There are large cable hubs or "headends" around the country. These contain racks of CMTS (Cable Modem Termination Systems). These feed the cable bandwidth (along with cable TV channels) along fibre cables to a mains powered street node. This also doubles up as termination for the telephone cabling. Here the Broadband is converted to RF spectrum along with the TV channels (TV is in linear format the same as Freeview & satellite). A coaxial cable then feeds between 10 - 25 slave cabinets with powered amplifiers, which then connect to customers. In newer areas the fibre cable is extended to the customers front wall.

The ducting is built with every customer "tee" facing into the main duct in the direction of the cabinet that serves it. Cable pull teams simply push a stiff wire with a grab on the end down the customer tee through to the cabinet, & then attach the Siamese (Coax & phone) cable to the end & pull it back the other way.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They use very small people to crawl through the ducts , pulling the magical cabling with their teeth Smiley Happy

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are large cable hubs or "headends" around the country. These contain racks of CMTS (Cable Modem Termination Systems). These feed the cable bandwidth (along with cable TV channels) along fibre cables to a mains powered street node. This also doubles up as termination for the telephone cabling. Here the Broadband is converted to RF spectrum along with the TV channels (TV is in linear format the same as Freeview & satellite). A coaxial cable then feeds between 10 - 25 slave cabinets with powered amplifiers, which then connect to customers. In newer areas the fibre cable is extended to the customers front wall.

The ducting is built with every customer "tee" facing into the main duct in the direction of the cabinet that serves it. Cable pull teams simply push a stiff wire with a grab on the end down the customer tee through to the cabinet, & then attach the Siamese (Coax & phone) cable to the end & pull it back the other way.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

victorbomber
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah. Thanks for that. It explains a lot. I am still slightly puzzled about where our 'headend' is, because as far as I know this new network they're laying is a bit isolated from anything like that. I guess there must be one, though.

And I can see how the cable gets pulled from the customer end now you've explained it; For some reason I had it mind that it would be sent from the cabinet end somehow, but I see it now.

I assume we will be getting the fibre cable to our front walls, then?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

or coax. it will depend on what they are installing.
0 Kudos