Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some Netgear routers are vulnerable to remote attacks

If you are using a Netgear router, check this article for a list of routers that are vulnerable to remote attacks:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/14/netgear-vulnerable-routers/

I did some checking and found that my R7000 was confirmed as vulnerable and a beta firmware was available so I have applied it.

Some other articles are suggesting that Netgear might not be 100% sure which of their routers are vulnerable so the list in the article above might grow.

I've already seen one post on the forum asking if the Superhubs made by Netgear might be vulnerable.  I hope not.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some Netgear routers are vulnerable to remote attacks

The VM hubs made by Netgear are not vulnerable to this issue:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Router/m-p/3283019

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it not a huge vulnerability anyway. ok someone can get at your wifi password but unless they then drive to your house & park outside there's not much they can do with that info ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

it not a huge vulnerability anyway. ok someone can get at your wifi password but unless they then drive to your house & park outside there's not much they can do with that info ?

From the vulnerability note:
"By convincing a user to visit a specially crafted web site, a remote, unauthenticated attacker may execute arbitrary commands with root privileges on affected routers."

With root privileges you have full control of the router, without being outside your house, which has security and privacy implications for any traffic that goes over your network.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is why i run DD-WRT as Stock firmware is never really audited like open Source Firmware is.

0 Kudos