Menu
ASWoolley
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Siting of junction box.

My estate is called Seddons Farm in Bury, Greater Manchester. I am pleased to see Vigin are in the process of working through the estate and we finally be able to switch from Sky. My issue is this. Last year a I saw Vigin engineer opposite my house. He was obviously carrying out some sort of survey. This was confirmed when I spoke with him. 

He advised that they were in the planning stage of cabling the estate and it was their intention to place one of your junction boxes either on the pavement or slightly set back. He advised it was their plan to place this directly in front of my house. My concern is this will be an eyesore if placed where intended, this combined with the sad fact graffiti artist make them a target, making them even more of an eyesore. There are obvious places within 50 mts where this could be placed and won’t concern anyone. How can I prevent this being placed opposite my house? Alex

ps if this is not the right board to post on please advise which one is?

0 Kudos
timetraveller
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Siting of junction box.

Believe that before it can happen your council have to ok it, it will then be published in your local newspaper, around the obitual page, in paper, about the plans, might even be a proposal attached to the lampposts around you too, details of how to put your concerns forward about it will be on these notices
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media does not need planning permission to install these 5ft boxes which can be an eyesore. VM should contact the council about the planned installation - but might not. You have got to fight this before installation as relocation will be a nightmare, so talk to your council's planning department.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Roger_Gooner wrote:

Virgin Media does not need planning permission to install these 5ft boxes which can be an eyesore. VM should contact the council about the planned installation - but might not. You have got to fight this before installation as relocation will be a nightmare, so talk to your council's planning department.

VM like all other "Utility" companies supposedly comply with NRSWA/NJUG guidelines and are licensed to comply with local council/borough planning as you imply/state.  Doesn't mean you can't object (preferably before Site Developer has installed VM street furniture).

There are a series of Specs/drawings (about 40?) that VM provide as part of Project Lightning for both HFC and FTTP on this website (thus it's in the public domain) but they prefer I don't publicise the actual link to the  New Build Developers Guide link!.  So I'm not! Smiley Tongue

Here's one example in context of this thread:Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 10.18.19.png

For those non civil engineers like me that can google the whole suite of drawings and research all the NRSWA and NJUG specs then we may "speculate" that the Cabinets (and adjacent service pits) on pavements may not be located exactly on property boundary because other utilities may already be sited in these areas?  

Equally other street furniture (lamp posts and trees) may already be planned and also affect the location.  Point is until the OP makes sufficient enquiries then one cannot assume that just because an adjacent boundary(or a 2m offset) appears "clear/ideal" on the visible surface then there are no other "sub-surface" impacts that potentially require a costly re-siting.  (Not forgiven Brighton and Hove Council for refusing to move a 40ft Elm Tree and lamp post that both obstructed my preferred kerb drop + hard standing access in 2015! Smiley Sad   )

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It’s quite a problem for them. They are sited based on distance from each other having regard for electrical transmission & signal decay. 50mmis c. 25% of the distance between cabinets. The siting decision also takes into account distance to the last house on that particular run. Not so straightforward.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
ASWoolley
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses, I have had a little breakthrough after a lot of digging, I got through to ‘lighting help desk’ They were extremely helpful and I await a call next week from an area manager to discuss. The number to call is 03330005925 for anyone else with a similar problem. It’s pretty clear this had to be resolved before installing or you’ve had it, Alex
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

call backs dont often happen so be prepared to keep on to them

Tony
0 Kudos
ASWoolley
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. The women I dealt with has given me a references number and stated that if  I heard nothing by close of business Monday to contact her directly and she will pursue. We will see. We live in hope. 😀

0 Kudos