Menu
Pusspaws
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Router

I have the Superhub 3, and I use Plex alot.  I was wondering if its worth changing the router for the 

NIGHTHAWK X10
Model R9000

Would I notice any difference to my network, we have the up to 200mbps package.  We also use the amazon fire tv.

The nighthawk is alot of money so I just want to check b4 ordering one

many thanskSmiley Happy
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router

Depends.

If your running a central Plex server , and your connections are wired, and all thats happening LAN side is Plex streaming- you'll see no difference.

You would get benefit if your Plex clients connect wirelessly, or you want to game whilst Plex is streaming as you can use the QOS functions of the router to prioritise gaming traffic.

I run KODI across 3 clients LAN side , all wired, and HUB3 does fine. Even with HD streams.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you switch from PLEX to KODI on fire TV you'll offload the transcoding to the FireTV and use less bandwidth LAN side. Unless you have a complete Ninja PC with an up to date graphics card.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"quicker" how ? - if you are streaming video content, it just has to stream fast enough  streams fast enough to watch in real time . or it buffers and stutters

you cant go "quicker" that real time, and any VM hub is more than capable of handling a couple of video streams. e.g. a four screen netflix pakage with four simultaneous users  watching 4 different shows on one hub is only going to need ~20Mb bandwitch - the hubs can hand;e up to 200Mb. and with LAn sources, say over plex - Fire TV cant handle 8Mb 1080p streams in its in plex app . it typically has to be cut back ot 2Mb 720p to get a watchable stream. (  a fire HDX tablet can though, if you configure plex correctly. )

and  if you have say multiple kodi  clients watching  different videos from a single plex or DLNA server, even then it's the server  CPU that's doing most of the work.. . unless you have an uber PC its likely that the server will run out of grunt befire the hub runs out of bandwidth

I was going to  disagree with Kippies ( though h'es usually right) about Kodi -  but google backs him up-

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/plex-vs-kodi-comparison-guide/

kodi transcodes client side - plex transcodes server side

so there will be less router bandwidth with a plex server solution in many cases. say the source is a  1080p blu ray rip on a LAN but it's heading for a 720p screen - the plex server will shrink the file before sending it via the router to a client device,; the kodi solution will as for the original large file then shrink it on receipt

Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay so I have experienced issues when watching a wireless stream, whilst Fire TV is streaming on HUB3

Its likely a better separate router WOULD improve that situation.  But Id go mid range,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C3200-Tri-Band-Processor/dp/B0141JYDEO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electron...

Has plenty of grunt to get that done. The X10 is a lovely piece of kit but a lot of its higher end features are unlikely to work with most common wireless cards.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All you need to do is wait for it to arrive, make sure you have a CAT5E cable handy.

Then sling your HUB into modem mode, connect your shiny new router to the port nearest the coax connector, reboot hub, boot router. Then you are good to go. Dont forget wireless devices will need paired with the new router.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends.

If your running a central Plex server , and your connections are wired, and all thats happening LAN side is Plex streaming- you'll see no difference.

You would get benefit if your Plex clients connect wirelessly, or you want to game whilst Plex is streaming as you can use the QOS functions of the router to prioritise gaming traffic.

I run KODI across 3 clients LAN side , all wired, and HUB3 does fine. Even with HD streams.

Pusspaws
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi ya

No I have my plex running on my pc, and view plex thru the amazon fire tv.  Im thinking then that it will not be that noticeable then.  

Many thanks

AlexandraSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you switch from PLEX to KODI on fire TV you'll offload the transcoding to the FireTV and use less bandwidth LAN side. Unless you have a complete Ninja PC with an up to date graphics card.

Pusspaws
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ive got kodi on the amazon fire box, and all works great, just wondered if using the nighthawk router would be noticeably quicker, but its probably going to be easier to just stay with the hub3.  Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

AlexandraSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"quicker" how ? - if you are streaming video content, it just has to stream fast enough  streams fast enough to watch in real time . or it buffers and stutters

you cant go "quicker" that real time, and any VM hub is more than capable of handling a couple of video streams. e.g. a four screen netflix pakage with four simultaneous users  watching 4 different shows on one hub is only going to need ~20Mb bandwitch - the hubs can hand;e up to 200Mb. and with LAn sources, say over plex - Fire TV cant handle 8Mb 1080p streams in its in plex app . it typically has to be cut back ot 2Mb 720p to get a watchable stream. (  a fire HDX tablet can though, if you configure plex correctly. )

and  if you have say multiple kodi  clients watching  different videos from a single plex or DLNA server, even then it's the server  CPU that's doing most of the work.. . unless you have an uber PC its likely that the server will run out of grunt befire the hub runs out of bandwidth

I was going to  disagree with Kippies ( though h'es usually right) about Kodi -  but google backs him up-

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/plex-vs-kodi-comparison-guide/

kodi transcodes client side - plex transcodes server side

so there will be less router bandwidth with a plex server solution in many cases. say the source is a  1080p blu ray rip on a LAN but it's heading for a 720p screen - the plex server will shrink the file before sending it via the router to a client device,; the kodi solution will as for the original large file then shrink it on receipt

Pusspaws
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I stand corrected...not quicker just less buffering, lagging.  If streaming a film from amazon fire box, and 2 laptops are being used, one sometimes streaming football, just seems sometimes to cause a lag...its not a huge problem, I was just interested to see if there was a better setup.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.:-)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As the quality of the source increases, the overhead bandwidth wise that KODI gains over PLEX is eroded.

So yup, playing an HD BLURAY source to PLEX will use less bandwidth LAN side than playing it on KODI.

However, assuming you are using either NAS or a fairly middling media server, the CPU load increases exponentially on PLEX when the quality of the source increases. Which leaves less clock cycles to service the NIC, so things will chuggg...

So playing say a 700MB Xvid encode of a movie will use far less bandwidth in KODI.  But a HD BLuray ISO will use far more bandwidth in KODI.

Depending on your client, that's important or not. As fire TV does H265 natively, it has the grunt to not care what encode you throw at it. So KODI has an advantage on that set up, cos even a HD BLUray encode doesn't need all the bandwidth available LAN side. Transcoding it with plex will take major processing, but less bandwidth.

If you were streaming to a telly with no STB,and have a semi decent media server,  go PLEX.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Pusspaws wrote:

I stand corrected...not quicker just less buffering, lagging.  If streaming a film from amazon fire box, and 2 laptops are being used, one sometimes streaming football, just seems sometimes to cause a lag...its not a huge problem, I was just interested to see if there was a better setup.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.:-)

Is the streaming laptop wireless?

0 Kudos
Pusspaws
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

yes its wireless..hubbies...  im watching film on amazon fire ....just trying to keep hubbie happy lol 

0 Kudos