Menu
Rosiefarm
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Removing cable

I've downgraded my package to one TiVo box only. I want to remove the cable to the second box - can I do this safely and can someone pick up the spare box to be re-used/re-cyled?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Removing cable

safely is easy enough, i'ts just a cable , it won't electrocute you - but do you REALLY need to remove it and not just conceal it instead. it is far more hassle to put it back again if ever you change your mind ?

returning the box is a fun filled epic saga, for many people

expect one reply saying we don't want it back - just recycle it, then 2 threatening emails  saying return it or we'll bill you, expect to make 3 or more calls to say so where';s the packaging then and to get  4 or more of " it's in the post"....

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

IF you are removing the cable  then the open end  needs to be capped of to stop any possible noise ingress into the local circuit.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

IF you are removing the cable  then the open end  needs to be capped of to stop any possible noise ingress into the local circuit.

i would have thought that leaving the cable in place but going to an empty space where the 2nd tivo box used to be would attract more noise than removing it. a long un-terminated run acts as an antenna ?

what gizmo should the OP buy , and from where, to do a DIY capping thing ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

One of these will do:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/381716252721?chn=ps&adgroupid=39910336457&rlsatarget=pla-300977882341...

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ok - still can't quite get my head around the electrical benefit of adding one though , compared with, say, a lump of blu tack ?

but  google says that proper terminators have a 75 ohm resistor inside...

so logically the OP needs a terminator if a tivo is removed - whether the surplus cable stays or goes ?

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The silver caps should be provided by Virgin Media. They should be sent with the return packing, assuming it ever turns up. They are small and easy to miss in the box but also are often missed out. The Virgin Media team will send some if requested.

The caps have a built in 75 ohm resistor to properly terminate the cable. They do not just keep out dirt. Unterminated cables can not only allow noise pick up, but they offer the wrong impedance to the incoming signal risking distortion and lowering of power levels at nearby equipment. If you still have Virgin Media equipment, you are the one who will be most vulnerable to problems.