Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Remember non standard ports are best

probably more for people using their own routers in modem mode (not sure what options the standard virgin hubs give you).

I accidentally had telnet open to the outside, and just noticed someone has been spamming it with an interesting selection of passwords.

I sometimes need to login to remotely manage things, although never via telnet, and have never had an issue with someone trying to do that with the https login, however I use non standard ports for that, and for ftp and anything else I need to expose to the outside world.

Ok if someone wants to scan all my ports they would find them, but so far the only times I've ever noticed anyone uninvited trying to connect to things is when I have failed to change port numbers.

so far..

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remember non standard ports are best

Good advice.  I've done this for example with the RDP port, although it was also set to only allow connections with NTLM security as well.

The advantage to using non standard ports is twofold.

1. They have to find the open port.
2. They have to find out which service is running on that port.

Whereas with the standard ports if you connect on port 23 then it's a good bet it's a telnet server, etc  So you can immediately try and breach that particular service.

What I would say is - If you never log on with telnet, then I would uninstall the telnet server completely anyway, as any service you don't use represents an unnecessary point of attack.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remember non standard ports are best

the telnet service was on my router which can only be disabled not uninstalled.

I do however use it for logging some stuff I can't get via snmp internally so need it for that anyway, I have however disabled external telnet access.

0 Kudos