Menu
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Power Lines

I just need some help please . I'm wanting to upgrade my Tivo for the new V6 , subsequently using my Tivo as my spare so as to be able to continue to watch my present recordings on the V6.Problem i have is using power line at the router end i could use a pass through connection, at the Tivo end it would have to be plugged in to an plug extension board no option, does this mean I'm stuffed and cannot upgrade ?
Colin
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power Lines

You are not necessarily stuffed. It depends on mains noise. Try it now on the TiVo.

What I don't understand about your situation is why at the TiVo end you can't plug the Powerline into the wall and the extension into that, unless you are daisy-chaining the extension. A shielded Cat6 cable running along the extension route would solve any connection problem to the V6/TiVo.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The plug soclet in the room where the Tivo is going is a little way away from the Tivo situation
Colin
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah - but if you've got power cable running to an extension from that socket, you can tie shielded Cat5e or Cat6 cable to the power lead and plug it intro the V6 or Tivo.

Any problem with that?

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No if i buy a power through lit it depends how long the ethernet cable is to be able to reach my Tivo ?
Colin
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You've got 100m to play with on Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That sounds good , i can do that from Tivo to plug on a pass through and the router end is okay anyway so thanks will just need to buy a good pass through kit and then ring Virgin, are there any specific ones i should look for?
Colin
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I use Devolo and recommend the AV500.

Shielded Ethernet cable is recommended if you are running alongside AC mains cable.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks for the information will now look to source suitable pass through kit and hopefully upgrade to the V6
Colin
0 Kudos
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can buy a power line with a socket for a plug which allows you to still use the wall socket. ..
And they come with two network socket that allows you to have the V6 plugged in and spare for your laptop as the V6 can nick 54 Mbps from the SH 3 .....

The V6 wireless system is good enough for me to have the super hub 3 in another room and I have thick walls in my home too. I have 2 V6 plus old TiVo box and SH3 in my home...
V6 box does need network at first boot to allow software update and locking the box to your account at VM....
0 Kudos