Menu
maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Part copper infrastructure or pure fibre infrastructure ?

Superfast Fibre Access has been designed to be an attractive proposition for the widest possible customer base. It's being delivered in two ways, over a:

part fibre, part copper infrastructure (Fibre to the Cabinet) capable of delivering download speeds of up to 80Mbps, upload speeds of up to 20Mbps.
pure fibre infrastructure (Fibre to the Premises) capable of delivering download speeds of 330Mbps and upload speeds of 30Mbps.
How are we connected ? What do you think VM customers

@thinkbroadband
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Part copper infrastructure or pure fibre infrastructure ?

Most of us are connected Via neither of those Smiley Happy.. well copper but not as we know it Smiley Happy

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The term "super Fast" is one of the biggest cons going. They'll run out of prefixes to the word "fast" in the near future.

Anyway, what you've described is BT'S measly offering, not VM's. Measly because the copper segment is noisy due to crosstalk. BT's is a rotten system and very poor value for money.

VM are doing some FTTP, particularly in new new build areas. Most of the VM estate is FTTN then cascaded coax to the premises. There is no crosstalk because of the DOCSIS 3 protocol; each house has its own coax feed, the coax being shielded.

DOCSIS 3.0 can deliver 800 meg over coax, 1 gig has been proven. There is a limitation in DOCSIS 3.0, namely the modulation maxed at 256QAM. Noise handling in DOCSIS 3.0 constrains the data packing density.

DOCSIS 3.1 is round the corner which offers better noise handling, bigger bandwidth per data unit and higher packing density.

BT cannot compete, imo.

All the above is technical and does not take into account oversubscribed areas, something that DOCSIS 3.1 can relieve.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Very interesting Sephiroth really, the question was how are we connected ? .. I don't gaf about bt this is all about VM m8 , did you check today for example SPEED topic ?

@thinkbroadband
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Most of use are connected with fibre to the cabinet and DOCSIS from their to the premisis

0 Kudos
maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

hmm well I live here [04] myself eight years and have not seen that they VM exchanged any cables leading to my house. 

stevedh2 wrote:

Most of use 

@thinkbroadband
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You won't have done. Cable was originally designed to carry analogue TV, which took lot of bandwidth so the cables needed to handle that. In a lot of cases cable that was installed 20 years ago (or more) is still more than capable of carrying current digital TV and broadband.

But what will have changed is at what point the connection changes from coax to fibre within the local area.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Nearly everyone on this forum is fibre to the cab , then coax to the home

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

pyrotenax wrote:
Nearly everyone on this forum is fibre to the cab , then coax to the home

wuy rt.JPG

pyrotenax  your s.t in peak time is just ridiculous Smiley Wink in comparison with the rest of the country -unfortunately .  I did s.t in safe mode network only router in modem mode . Conclusions ...

@thinkbroadband
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

maxmarutti wrote:

Superfast Fibre Access has been designed to be an attractive proposition for the widest possible customer base. It's being delivered in two ways, over a:

part fibre, part copper infrastructure (Fibre to the Cabinet) capable of delivering download speeds of up to 80Mbps, upload speeds of up to 20Mbps.
pure fibre infrastructure (Fibre to the Premises) capable of delivering download speeds of 330Mbps and upload speeds of 30Mbps.
How are we connected ? What do you think VM customers

Theres no one on pure fibre with VM, its all HFC. Even the new project lightning areas.

0 Kudos