CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PC Online Security

PCs can be attacked online by criminally malicious methods including

RANSOMWARE

This word is a combination of the criminal act RANSOM and SOFTWARE

The PC personal files (pictures/music/text etc) are locked and money is extorted/demanded by criminals who may even take control of your PC.

Access to your PC by the ransomware felons is usually gained by careless

opening of EMail attachments or clicking links in unsolicited unexpected EMails.

Police / security experts worldwide / Cherry advise NOT to ever pay ransomware money

as that only encourages further extortion demands and fuels more similar crime.

Paying the ransomware criminals does not guarantee that your files will be opened

and often the psychological threat causes inexperienced PC users to want to pay

before even actually checking whether the PC files are really locked/encrypted.

CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: PC Online Security

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

is there a question here ?

colour me cynical but I am waiting for the anti-ransomware software sales pitch - coming soon ?

otherwise why are you posting this stuff and what has it to do with Virgin Media services ( which is what the board is for ? )

CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

UNGRATEFUL  cynical  insolent careless (with PC security)  are all words that come to my mind Smiley Mad

My sole concern is to HELP / WARN / PROTECT any possible victims of malware crim scams

and that includes VM users / sky users / BT users etc.  

Anybody who warns me against malware/scams and my natural reaction is one of gratefulness & thanks.

Enough said................Smiley Mad

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

a typical thread here attracts about 10  curious readers. if you want to warn the world, go post where there's an audience

& you have said nothing that is not available in hundreds of other articles

ransomware is a threat- yes we get that. but if you post that in a tech chatter forum you are preaching to the choir

sadly, many folks dont kont / dont care but ( unlike you & I  ) they have better things to do that read obscure tech chatter Virgin Media sub forums

have a nice day - don't open anything I wouldn't open Smiley Happy

jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

on one hand it may not be relevant to this board, but ransomware can strike in many different ways and places. a scam virgin link by email could lead to ransomware. but yes, only a few are likely to look at this but most of those will just click the back page straight away however, the title is tech chatter and many posts going back to the beginning of the board are about tech be it about virgin or not. if it stops one person paying up to scammers then the post will have served its purpose.
0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I agree Jamesofmerton and keep them coming CherryKing8 - There are many variations on ransomware and new ones being produced on a regular basis. I have just posted one that is designed to fool Pokeman Go users, not only in the VM Forum, but to many other localised Forums that I belong to. All of the warnings are appreciated and I get a lot of positive feedback and thanks for doing so.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with the real life attacks that have devastated many users, so even if a few of these warnings are picked up by others at least a few will be forewarned.

If a post is considered to be in the wrong category, I'm sure that a Forum Moderator will pick it up and if considered appropriate move it to a new Forum location.