Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13 (359 Views)

New IP address locates me in wrong county

Virgin Media changed my WAN IP address recently.  Unfortunately sites that use it to access my location are now told I live in Yorkshire rather than Norfolk.

Would VM correct this please.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13 (674 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 16:29

Re: New IP address locates me in wrong county

VM will not correct it.  WAN IP addresses are a lottery and very rarely accurate.  I too was given a new IP recently and now apparently I am domiciled in Lewisham ... thankfully I actually live in leafy Surrey.   Smiley Happy

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Superuser
Message 3 of 13 (663 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 16:28

Optimist1 wrote:

Virgin Media changed my WAN IP address recently.  Unfortunately sites that use it to access my location are now told I live in Yorkshire rather than Norfolk.

There's nothing for VM to correct. It's the geo-location companies holding old info on where it was last seen. As you browse about etc (and keep bluetooth+WiFi on) those companies will eventually realize their info is old and update their database.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

Superuser
Message 7 of 13 (589 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 22:28

Geolocation is based upon assumptions.  While it works well most of the time some of the assumptions it's based on are poorly thought out.

Assumption 1.

That an IP address will always be used WITHIN the borders of the assigning internet authority.

While this holds true for a good many situations it's not 100% true.  For example I have an IPv6 address assigned to HE.net by ARIN - who handle North America and Canada.

Two Geo-IP providers still locate the IPv6 subnet in the US although another does correctly locate me in the UK

Assumption 2.

That similar IP addresses will always be given out in the same area and will always remain within that area.  While this can be true there is no formal standard that dictates this.  IP addresses are not allocated by area in the same way that phone numbers are.

While Geo-IP is fairly accurate for a good portion of the time it's by no means 100% accurate even at the country level.

According to Geo-IP providers I am currently in.

• Birmingham
  • Buckland End
  • Bamber Bridge

One is fairly accurate but the other two are well out.

If you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback

You can see where 3 different providers fix your location and you can send feedback which is passed on to the Geo-IP companies.  However don't expect instantaneous corrections.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13 (675 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 16:29

VM will not correct it.  WAN IP addresses are a lottery and very rarely accurate.  I too was given a new IP recently and now apparently I am domiciled in Lewisham ... thankfully I actually live in leafy Surrey.   Smiley Happy

Electron
Superuser
Message 3 of 13 (664 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 16:28

Optimist1 wrote:

There's nothing for VM to correct. It's the geo-location companies holding old info on where it was last seen. As you browse about etc (and keep bluetooth+WiFi on) those companies will eventually realize their info is old and update their database.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13 (325 Views)

Will they know where my PC is located?
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 13 (320 Views)

Optimist1 wrote:
Will they know where my PC is located?

Not if you sit on it.   Top tip.     Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 13 (311 Views)

tin foil

all windows

now

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 13 (590 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Optimist1
‎21-04-2017 22:28

Geolocation is based upon assumptions.  While it works well most of the time some of the assumptions it's based on are poorly thought out.

Assumption 1.

That an IP address will always be used WITHIN the borders of the assigning internet authority.

While this holds true for a good many situations it's not 100% true.  For example I have an IPv6 address assigned to HE.net by ARIN - who handle North America and Canada.

Two Geo-IP providers still locate the IPv6 subnet in the US although another does correctly locate me in the UK

Assumption 2.

That similar IP addresses will always be given out in the same area and will always remain within that area.  While this can be true there is no formal standard that dictates this.  IP addresses are not allocated by area in the same way that phone numbers are.

While Geo-IP is fairly accurate for a good portion of the time it's by no means 100% accurate even at the country level.

According to Geo-IP providers I am currently in.

• Birmingham
  • Buckland End
  • Bamber Bridge

One is fairly accurate but the other two are well out.

If you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback

You can see where 3 different providers fix your location and you can send feedback which is passed on to the Geo-IP companies.  However don't expect instantaneous corrections.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Message 8 of 13 (294 Views)

My new address put me in Manchester, nearly 200 miles away from the home counties. However, sites soon "learn" that the address has moved area & change accordingly.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Dialled in
Message 9 of 13 (284 Views)

Thank you for the expalanation and advice, Ravenstar88!
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 10 of 13 (239 Views)

Well, according to that checker, I am in Bolton!! Smiley Surprised

Only about 300 miles out!! Smiley LOL

0 Kudos