Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Netflix on Linux Mint works beautifully

Long time Netflix user here.

I moved over to Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon edition) back in the early part of the year from Windows 7. Has been totally hassle free since then! So glad I made the permanent move to Mint.

Recently went back to Netflix for the forthcoming Marvel series and it works like a dream natively through Chrome.

So glad Netflix ditched the Silverlight plugin and moved to HTML5 video.

It was a ropey start in the early days of HTML5 video on Netflix (windows 7), going back a few years, but it's working very well now. On Mint it seems to work better than on Windows 7 I'd have to say.

No extensions, no plugins, no installs. It just requires Chrome, so you just signup to Netflix and play!

Haven't tried it on Firefox yet, but it supports it too:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/12/html5-video-is-now-supported-in-firefox.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/watch-netflix-natively-linux-easy-way/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/netflix-announces-plans-to-switch-to-html5-video-streaming-updates/

police666
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix on Linux Mint works beautifully

For people who didn't know, you can turn Netflix into a Desktop Application on Linux

you can create a Desktop Application on Linux via the Google Chrome “Add to desktop” feature and here’s how to do it. The process is very easy and pretty straight forward so first just go to Netflix.com in Google Chrome.

Once you are the front page, you don’t need to login but you can if you want to, click the Hamburger icon in the top right of the Chrome browser. Hamburger icon might seem like an odd term, that’s because it is odd, but that is the nickname of the 3 horizontal line icon that is becoming popular these days.

Next hover your mouse, or select with your keyboard, the More tools option to reveal an additional menu.

In the More tools menu, click the Add to desktop option to begin the application creation.

The Application Creation is also very easy, all you need to do is click the Add button in the dialog popup that displays.

The Open as window option makes the new application open in a separate window than the default Chrome window, since this is what we want anyway just leave it checked.

(all will become clear as you do it)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The only thing that I found is that after playing lots of shows in a row the interface may become a little sluggish, and Chrome may need to be restarted in order to flush the memory allocations it uses and bring performance back to slick. This will most likely be due to Javascript memory leaks which are unavoidable. Happened when I had a Doctor Who binge weekend, watching series after series.

I only have 6GB of RAM on my machine, if you have more it will take much longer to become an issue, or may not be an issue at all.

Generally I leave Chrome running for days playing videos and loading all kinds of sites. So just mention it in passing in case you get that issue.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Long time Netflix user here.

I moved over to Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon edition) back in the early part of the year from Windows 7. Has been totally hassle free since then! So glad I made the permanent move to Mint.

Recently went back to Netflix for the forthcoming Marvel series and it works like a dream natively through Chrome.

So glad Netflix ditched the Silverlight plugin and moved to HTML5 video.

It was a ropey start in the early days of HTML5 video on Netflix (windows 7), going back a few years, but it's working very well now. On Mint it seems to work better than on Windows 7 I'd have to say.

No extensions, no plugins, no installs. It just requires Chrome, so you just signup to Netflix and play!

Haven't tried it on Firefox yet, but it supports it too:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/12/html5-video-is-now-supported-in-firefox.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/watch-netflix-natively-linux-easy-way/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/netflix-announces-plans-to-switch-to-html5-video-streaming-updates/

Guess you don't have a Lenovo then: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/21/lenovo_denies_plot_with_microsoft_to_block_linux_installs/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

(related sort of) Toyed with installing Mint, finally did it last night

I'm a novice witrh Mint 17.3.  Had it lying around on a DVD for a while.  I put it on an unused disk last night.  It took a while for me to work out how to dual boot it, that's done, but I'm having problems with USB devices (I managed to install my printer though) and I can't get it to run in normal mode (it runs in software rendering mode all the time). 

I have a GAK8VM800 (Gigabyte) motherboard with integrated graphics and 2gb RAM, 64Mb of which is removed by the onboard graphics.  Since I'm a cheapskate, that's what I'm using.  I do have an AGP 8x slot doing nothing, so would getting a new card be useful?  The CPU is always running at 100%.  The innernets look much clearer and I would go as far as recommending it for senior citizens over Windows (due to the lack of clutter), but they would need someone who knows what they're doing (unlike me) around to help them out.

If anyone can tell me how to get it out of software rendering mode, I would be happy (for now).

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: (related sort of) Toyed with installing Mint, finally did it last night

A descret GPs would perform better and take some strain off the cpu no need to buy big, it depends on the screen size and resolution
Something like this would do the job, there are nvidia drivers for Linux
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

After a bit of faffing about and stuff, this is my 1st post using Linux Mint XFCE.  I can actually read stuff easier on here.  Wow, I'm impressed.  Its suprisingly like Windows 7, which is what they were going for.  Innernet is a bit slow on the upload, but tweaking the MTU setting got it running at almost full whack.  I'm a convert, but the sudo get stuff is a bit confusing.  Took a few bashes to get it going, but yep, everything works faster, (particularly printing), innernets is clearer too.  If you have an old PC lying round doing nothing or get a cheapo PATA disk off ebay and use that. 

Thanks for that J0hn.

There was one for 32 quid on ebay, so I might buy it.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There 15 of the most common commands and usage on this link, it help me Smiley Happy

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/778
0 Kudos
kevnjohn
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have Linux operating system but I have never experienced Netflix but now I will streaming my favorite shows and movies. 

0 Kudos