Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My Apparently High MP4 Useage

This has me puzzled.  My Asus RT-AC68U has a Traffic Analyzer and looking at my traffic for my workstation, by far the largest monthly usage is listed as 'MP4  -  30GB'.  Probably being very ignorant here but what could be the reason for this.

I watch BBC iPlayer (not live programs) occasionally, a few visits to YouTube, a few brief visits to the railcam on the Swanage Railway ... would any of these explain so much MP4?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My Apparently High MP4 Useage

Hi

BBC iPlayer is the culprit here.

Even though you do not watch live streams it will still stream in an mp4 file/format of the on demand/recorded stuff to your device.

Cheers

All Replies
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

Even though you do not watch live streams it will still stream in an mp4 file/format of the on demand/recorded stuff to your device.

Cheers

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FlashPan wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Aha, thanks very much for that.  Mystery solved.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Although its solved, to give some perspective...

45 Mins in MP4 @ 1080p with 5.1 sound= around 1.5-2  GB by most conventional encoding settings.

So 30 GB a month is small beer.

I use quite a bit of Amazon content and a remote Plex server in addition to lots of YouTube (the kids) dont even want to know what my monthly usage is -  last time I checked it was about 200GB

As I'm now  on V6 , dont forget THAT comes down your regular line unlike TiVo so as we've watched about 4hrs of on demand tonight, I reckon 200GB is low....

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kippies, yes that does put in into perspective.  And I did prove that it was iPlayer because I didn't access the following day and the MP4 useage was only MBs not GBs.   Just as well VM is unlimited.    Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos
kray
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

what format is your security camera in maby that my be helping the gigs? if ya got it working with the static ip problem ya had that is
0 Kudos
Thomask556
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ha that's nothing my game downloads showed a whopping 600+GB my streams  top 200+GB not to mention the constant cloud drive sync  and all my other downloads etc 

0 Kudos