Menu
Wise owl
Message 1 of 11 (284 Views)

Microsoft kills Windows Vista on April 11.

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11 (258 Views)

Re: Microsoft kills Windows Vista on April 11.

I doubt there will be many people in mourning, it's an abomination.  I'm not looking forward to when they do the same to Windows 7 though, IMHO still the best OS Microsoft ever made.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 11 (254 Views)

Vista has been a dead man walking since the release of Windows 10. Minimal support from Microsoft for a long time.
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 11 (236 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think it's a misleading title, although I appreciate it comes from what is actually a misleading title in the linked article.

Microsoft aren't killing Vista, they're killing all support for it. Vista will continue to run - which it would not be able to do if it was being killed on April 11. It's obviously for users to decide whether it's worth the risk of continuing to use Vista after that date and for some there may well be legitimate reasons and qualified circumstances that make that a perfectly understandable decision (they might not even use it with an internet connection, for example). Besides, some take the view these days that for all practical purposes there are greater risks of breaking or compromising your system by installing Windows Updates than there are by leaving your machine unprotected Smiley Wink! Windows 10 forced updating, telemetry and advertising? No thanks!

It's a situation I'll therefore very likely face like many others in January 2020 when all support for Windows 7 remains scheduled to be killed, but not Windows 7 itself. Mind you, if market share remains as at present then it's a decision they may need to revisit nearer the time.

Superfast
Message 5 of 11 (225 Views)

I was happy with Windows 7 but when I brought a new PC it came with Windows 8 which I found awful so I went back to an old Vista machine until an upgrade to Windows 10 was available. I would probably still be happier with Windows 7 but over time I have found that staying with old standards just makes the change all the more painful when you are eventually forced to move on.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 11 (209 Views)

From what I recall of VIsta there were was the hardware issue. Manufacturers were selling machines which didn't have the support to run it. I think that led to Microsoft requiring sellers to identify their computers as either "vista ready" and "vista approved." Something like that anyway. The vista ready machines were ones which could maginally run it, I.E. computers coming in at <£200 with very poor hardware. Because of what the manufacturers did, it got VIsta an extra bad name publicly wise.

It now kind of sits in the same area as Windows ME does.

I never used it personally though, but I did have Windows ME. Oddly enough my favorite MS OS is Windows 8.1, I have it on all my devices bar one and I wouldn't have it any other way.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11 (203 Views)

Vista was absolute crap.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11 (199 Views)

Sephiroth wrote:
Vista was absolute crap.

Now don't beat about the bush Seph, tell us what you really think       Smiley LOL

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11 (187 Views)

I left off the obvious second sentence!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 10 of 11 (185 Views)

[ Edited ]

To be honest, I can't recall whether I thought Vista was better, worse, or much the same as ME. I do recollect that neither compared well with XP, and that I was nonetheless seduced into buying both ME and Vista at their respective launches, which is more than can be said of 8, 8.1 or 10 - none of which I have had any remote interest in touching, not least because I use desktop PCs rather than hand-held devices. Of the post-9* versions of Windows, XP and 7 are the only ones I've actually appreciated and found on the whole reliable and/or tempting.