Menu
jollins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Line recently upgraded but virgin still not available

We have had works recently to install fibre in our neighbourhood which is now finished. When viewing bt and sky sites I can see I have access to Higher speeds but virgin reports there is no bb access in my area. Am I missing something here? Does virgin need their own equipment or perhaps even they just haven't updated their records? I tried asking on live chat but they ignored my question and terminated the chat. Rude. I'm only really interested in the superior speeds on virgin but I need to upgrade quick as I'm paying bt a lot for basically nothing
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line recently upgraded but virgin still not available

What is missing here is a bit of understanding. VM does NOT use the BT infrastructure for its services. Not a single VM service runs over the BT infrastructure. They all use VM's own infrastructure for BB, TV and phone. So if VM is not in your area it doesn't matter that the BT infrastructure has been upgraded. You still can't get VM services.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
jollins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I guess I'm somewhat confused as it was virgin who did the service in my area. About 7 trucks parked up all with virgin plastered over their vans. I even spoke to one of the engineers who confirmed that it was virgin who were going to do the work. You saying that this has now changed? What would it take to get virgin in my area? Ie what needs to be done their end?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

With this extra information I can guess better at what is happening. VM have started to install their cabling but the work is probably not yet finished. In which case the post code checker will show no availability until VM are ready to go live.and you won't know that until they start to canvass for customers in your area. If VM already have cabling in your street then there is no obvious reason why you can't get services.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
jollins
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. I might need to go elsewhere for now which is a shame. Need to get away from paying £46 pm for 1MB speeds... there is always next year I gueaa
0 Kudos