Menu
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Just got an ASUS AC5300!! What Router do you have?

Just got an ASUS AC5300 & Flashed it with Merlin's new Beta Firmware! Anyone who is a Network enthusiast should get one of these you won't be disappointed!!

Runs DNSCRYPT Amazingly & can Handle up to 5 OpenVPN Connections which is nice.

nuttydave
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just got an ASUS AC5300!! What Router do you have?

Did you turn it upside down and pretend its a spider...thats one expensive spider.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes :3 its my Spider Pig

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Wow! Just a few antennas. How is the beamforming working? I've got a very understated Apple Airport Extreme mounted on a 2m high cabinet - not enclosed but out of signt. I have to say the ASUS qualifies as a work of modern art! Would be interested to hear about performance especially at range on the 5 ghz band.

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

It has some Bugs for sure such as sometimes the WIFI will drop out but this seems to be fixed now with Merlins Beta Firmware. I get a connection of 780 Mbps on the 5GHZ AC Band but my Laptop only has 2 Antennas. The CPU Is Amazing!! I am running X2 OpenVPN Tunnels and i can pull around 60 Mbps through them & DNSCRYPT is the best thing to use so no DNS Poisoning either.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I do like Asus equipment.  My requirements are not as sophisticated as yours so I settled for the RT-AC68U which has proved to be very reliable on the latest Asus firmware, so I haven't bothered with the Merlin alternative.  I get rock solid Wi-Fi on both bands with good range and no dropouts.

Love the 'tartan' black finishLove the 'tartan' black finish

Thos e two USB ports are really usefulThos e two USB ports are really useful

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
ShamAhmed
Tuning in
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have bought an AC5300, its looks like a beast and performs like a beast. No wifi dead spots in my house now. 

I had an Asus ac68u before this and its like having a Bugatti vs a Porche Smiley Tongue

Bestie can you tell me what pros are there to flashing the Merlin firmware over the current beta version?

And please can you post your settings, if you have changed them on the wifi channels.

Cheers

Sam

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others

My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2ac in modem mode connected to a Asus RT-AC68U router.
0 Kudos
ShamAhmed
Tuning in
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

please reply.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others

My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2ac in modem mode connected to a Asus RT-AC68U router.
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I use the Merlin Firmware as i run 5 Different OpenVPN Connections to different locations. I also run DNSCRYPT so Merlin Firmware is needed. 

0 Kudos
Shann0w
Tuning in
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Asus RT-AC3200Asus RT-AC3200I got this in the Black Friday sales. I love it, but it stopped detecting the internet yesterday. Don't know whether it's a virging fault or I need to start an RMA, but I've had to go back to the superhub and awful speeds.

0 Kudos