Menu
Community elder
Message 1 of 7 (432 Views)

Is this a next gen TiVo killer? Hdhomerun

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-HDHR4-2DT-UK/dp/B00Y2JYZOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

I don't watch enough live tv to want to drop £99 on this, but I like the concept

Share Live SD and HDTV content around your home with the capability to connect to different channels on different devices at the same time. With HDHomeRun as part of your home network your devices can then receive Free-to-air broadcast TV (Freeview if in the UK) via an antenna allowing you to send glorious HD 1080i definition content to anywhere in your home via an Ethernet connection and to multiple devices. No more expensive subscriptions or cable boxes. SD (Standard Definition) also works over WiFi to extend your viewing capability. You can also watch Live TV with our Kodi/XBMC Add-On or you can record, pause, rewind and schedule your favorite shows using popular compatible DVR software like Windows Media Center, Elgato EyeTV and Myth TV.

Box Contains

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 7 (395 Views)

Re: Is this a next gen TiVo killer? Hdhomerun

To late to live up to the title. Virgin Media already killed the Tivo last year with their bloat-ware update and they are murdering on demand and catch up. Intel's Puma chipset and Virgin's over-utilisation may not yet be fatal but have inflicted some serious wounds on Broadband. Since most people have mobiles with call packages, land lines are on life support for years. Sorry could not resist. Back to topic.

The box looks versatile but would need to much work by me to keep the family supplied with the TV they have come to expect.
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 7 (389 Views)

HD homeruns have been around ages and although they are great when bundled with the likes of Plex which are supported by Plex DVR unless there are other offerings apart from freeview I don't see the benefit

I believe over in the states there are cable versions and if they were made available over here to work with virgin then I would consider talking TV services

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 7 (379 Views)

Its just a TV capture card and network interface with a bit of software. You can do the same with KODI and MythTV , but its much prettier.

Ive a V6 and its not getting much use ATM, catch up has kind of taken over from recording shows in our house, and whilst it works splendidly on V6, a TV capture card in a media server makes recordings available to ALL devices on my network, so V6 kind of languishes in the corner.

Going forward, that's the challenge that both the VM TiVo service and SKY Q both have. They are solutions to problems that no longer exist (for a lot of people), PVR functionality has more or less been superseded by on demand.

Superfast
Message 5 of 7 (376 Views)

Which is why the BB is rubbish when everyone gets home and spends all evening streaming. Virgin has kept up with, no exceeded, the speed requirement but not the capacity requirement.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 7 (370 Views)

vircom wrote:
Which is why the BB is rubbish when everyone gets home and spends all evening streaming. Virgin has kept up with, no exceeded, the speed requirement but not the capacity requirement.

No doubt. Its the standard that seems to be acceptable to many. As long as the people who KNOW their connection is sub standard continue to accept paying 90% of their monthly bill for 10% of the service when they want to use it, VM have no incentive to speed up fixes to oversubscribed areas. OFCOM need to clip their wings about promises made over speeds in oversubscribed areas as well.

Add to that  LOT of people aren't even aware of what the delivered speed of their connection is, which compounds the laid back attitude VM seem to have to overutilisation and you have a recipe for nothing really happening very fast.

Community elder
Message 7 of 7 (354 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kippies wrote:

Its just a TV capture card and network interface with a bit of software. You can do the same with KODI and MythTV , but its much prettier.

if it had included an RF pass through I could slot it in behind the Lounge  TV where I already have powerline and  a network switch for it to feed into. but as designed, I'd have to buy another TV splitter and worry that adding one more device to the 3 already sharing the roof aerial would be a step too far. 

That and I'd have to find something worth watching/saving that's not already on a decent live/catchup - app.

I can see one immediate use. we have grandchildren addicted to ceebies etc and recording their stuff on PC via this bypasses the limited time only DRM built into I -player- but so would saving to a USB stick in the smart TV - I think.

0 Kudos