Menu
CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ITV Hub Player BBC I Player

I have both ITV hub player and BBC I Player on my PC and enjoy using both.

My favourite programmes to watch are Dinner Date ,  Mastermind and quizzes.

Can anyone inform me plz if I can use these players ( ITV & BBC I ) on Sky / Virgin ?

What I mean is can I view ITV Hub player or BBC I player using Sky or VM through my TV set ?

Also any views about these players would be welcome.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: ITV Hub Player BBC I Player

bbc i player is accessible via Tivo,

personally I prefer it via a smart TV app or vis Roku- some folks complain that Tivo is sluggish when loading i player & choosing programs, but my wife happily uses it.

I am not sure it the Tivo search function now also searches I player.

ITV hub is frankly awful - ad invested, standard definition only.. ditto the apps for channels 4 & 5 , Virgin catch up is probably far better though I don't watch those channels myself & cannot directly comment on whether Virgin has HD catch-up

0 Kudos
CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is Tivo worth getting ? I am very unsure. Maybe I should stick to MY PC use of

the ITV hub player and BBC I players. I agree that having adverts forced on viewers is 

atrocious, insidious and lamentable. Hence my chosen viewings >>BBC No adverts (thank God) !!!!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

CherryKing8 wrote:

Is Tivo worth getting...

i'd say that very much depends on whether you are interested in any of the non-freeview channels. e.g. we considered getting rid of our Tivo  but ,my wife like sky arts & did not want to give that up, so we have the Virgin M+ channels package, but I dont watch any of it.. i prefer PC -> plex media server -> samsung TV plex app, 

if what you like is on freeview, then consider buying a freeview HD recorder instead e.g. Humax, Panasonic, or look at freesat

0 Kudos
CherryKing8
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thx Cybmole some good points you have made and now I am all dizzy with the possible choices. Smiley LOL

Basically my analysis would be that there is GOOD viewing in all of these ( Tivo, Sky, VM, Freeview etc )

but the final choice will be determined by your individual tastes / preferences and affordability.

I have to say that whenever I have a choice between BBC  ITV SKY covering the same event , I always choose

BBC coverage as ITV and SKY annoy me extremely with the endless loud boring "adverts" which are painful to watch.

If I switch to ITV or SKY and adverts are on ( almost every time ) then I immediately move away to maybe a shopping channel.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

when deciding to downscale I made a 1 page word doc showing all channels in each of M, M+ L, XL packages, then we trawled through all our tivo recordings to see where they had come from and highlighted those channels. I would attach a copy but we don't seem to have saved it. It is easily done with cut and paste from the virgin web pages

we found that the M+ package covered almost everything

if you simplify that channels compare list even more by removing all the +1 channels, and any stuff you know you'll never watch e.g. kids, foreign... it's even clearer. We'd taken XL for the bundled BT sport, but we were not watching any of the extra 100 rubbish  xl channels .

and if you have a tivo, you don't need the +1 channels, as you can record stuff.

the most basic virgin package is basically just the freeview / freesat channels.  I read up on freesat also but that seems to make sense only if you cannot get good freeview via aerial. we could get sky TV free for a year via the new customer = refer friends deals but year 2 looked not so good. We ruled out NOW TV as it is SD only and has no subtitles.

0 Kudos
adecooper
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Get an Amazon firestick. All the catchup services plus more. Lightning fast and a one off £30.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

adecooper wrote:

Get an Amazon firestick. All the catchup services plus more. Lightning fast and a one off £30.

except there is no live ITV tv stream in the fire tv version of ITVhub app.( as I found out the hard way for euro 2016 )

to get that, spend £5 more & get a ROKu- more apps, more channels , better quality...

0 Kudos