Menu
xHDx
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IPv6 is already rolling out!

Hi,

I was browsing the forums a couple months ago to see if VM had started rolling out IPv6. Apparently, they hadn't started yet. Recently they announced that by 2017, they will adopt IPv6.

Well, it seems like they have already started rolling it out. I signed into my console to find that IPv4 and IPv6 was active. I had noticed that previously, it was active for 1 or 2 days and then it disappeared for about 4 weeks up until now. It appears permanent but I'm not entirely sure.

Here is a snap of my console in the Network tab:

IPv4 + IPv6 EnabledIPv4 + IPv6 Enabled

I'm located in the North East near Newcastle if anyone is interested in their deployment.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IPv6 is already rolling out!

Xbone is designed to use IPV6. But a lot of markets still are largely IPV4

So it needs a way of "talking" to IPV6 addresses on an IPV4 connection. The methodology Xbone uses is called Teredo tunneling. It works across NAT devices on IPV4 (your HUB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

So devices using it can happily have a IPV4 address and an IPV6 address, despite the infrastructure between them being mostly (or entirely) IPV4

HUB3 has an IPV4 address AND an option for an IPV6  AFAIK. Doesn't mean its active one VM's UK network yet.

But the same Arris box is active in Virgin Ireland's  operation where its natively IPV6

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What console is that?

On my wired Windows 10 connection to the Hub 3, I've seen a /24 IPv4 address and a /64 IPv6 address for some time now.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
rsdubs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looks like an Xbox One
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In which case its red herring. the IPV6 addy will be Teredo tunneled

0 Kudos
xHDx
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you calculate that and what does it mean? They've been fiddling with the wires for a while as my net has been on off here and there.

I have a default router setup for my netgear r800/0 and it doesnt use that option. I can be chosen but isnt picked when set to auto.

Edit: Yeah this is the Xbox One console
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Xbone is designed to use IPV6. But a lot of markets still are largely IPV4

So it needs a way of "talking" to IPV6 addresses on an IPV4 connection. The methodology Xbone uses is called Teredo tunneling. It works across NAT devices on IPV4 (your HUB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

So devices using it can happily have a IPV4 address and an IPV6 address, despite the infrastructure between them being mostly (or entirely) IPV4

HUB3 has an IPV4 address AND an option for an IPV6  AFAIK. Doesn't mean its active one VM's UK network yet.

But the same Arris box is active in Virgin Ireland's  operation where its natively IPV6

xHDx
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok so im guessing the benefits are not the same Virgin supplying IPv6 addresses from their end?

It would be cool if it is.

I guess if it was true IPv6 then my NAT wouldnt be displayed because IPv6 doesn't use NAT. (Correct me if im wrong).

Thanks for the info.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

xHDx wrote:

I guess if it was true IPv6 then my NAT wouldnt be displayed because IPv6 doesn't use NAT. (Correct me if im wrong).

Thanks for the info.

Now your cooking..

Absolutely right and I didn't even think far enough to ask you to check if NAT was active on the connection as a diagnostic. Ill nick that one for future use Smiley Wink

xHDx
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well its true if the system is designed that way but im not sure if it is Smiley Very Happy
It may be displayed either way 😀
0 Kudos