Accepted Solutions
Superfast
Message 7 of 11 (650 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by PiotrG
2 weeks ago

Re: I want to change my IP

[ Edited ]

Its "dynamic" in a sense that it *could* change - it not *guaranteed* to remain same.

But in practice, on Virgin Media it almost never changes.

Therefore I'd advise to avoid "been restricted on a certain service" situations, since you won't be able to change it on demand. If you think your restriction was unjust you should just ask service admins/support to unblock you.

Also its unlikely that you will become DDOS target unless you *really* **bleep** someone off (because its expensive) - and you should just avoid that too. Also you can ask Virgin for help if you believe you've became victim of persistent DDOS attacks.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 11 (648 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by PiotrG
2 weeks ago

the network assigns the IP based on the mac address of the device connected to the router. in this case the router side of the superhub. if you turn it off or release/renew the ip it will assign the same one.

there is no way to change it turning it over will only stand a small chance of working if you leave it off for a month or more and then you are likely to get the same IP back anyway

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 11 (374 Views)

hiya @PiotrG can i ask why?, since the IP address is partly locked aka sticky to the hub, there isn't any quick way to get a new IP address.. the only true way would be putting the hub into modem mode and attach a 3rd party router..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 11 (367 Views)

Because my ip has been restricted on a certain service I use and I need a new ip to continue using said service, and also I don't like the idea of certain people having my ip.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 11 (363 Views)

you IP is not private its seen by everyone and every server you visit.
If you have been blocked from a service you need to ask the service to unblock you. The ISP can not and should not help get you back onto a services you have been blocked from
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 11 (349 Views)

So is the only way to change my ip through a 3rd party router?
And yes I'am aware that people can get my ip easily another part to my problem is that people who may DDOS me also have my IP which is why i want to change it.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 11 (346 Views)

I also looked into my ip a little more, from what i've concluded it looks like I have a dynamic ip, yet when i reset/turn on/off my super hub I do not get a new ip. 

could someone please expand on this and explain why this is. 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 7 of 11 (651 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by PiotrG
2 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

Its "dynamic" in a sense that it *could* change - it not *guaranteed* to remain same.

But in practice, on Virgin Media it almost never changes.

Therefore I'd advise to avoid "been restricted on a certain service" situations, since you won't be able to change it on demand. If you think your restriction was unjust you should just ask service admins/support to unblock you.

Also its unlikely that you will become DDOS target unless you *really* **bleep** someone off (because its expensive) - and you should just avoid that too. Also you can ask Virgin for help if you believe you've became victim of persistent DDOS attacks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 11 (649 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by PiotrG
2 weeks ago

the network assigns the IP based on the mac address of the device connected to the router. in this case the router side of the superhub. if you turn it off or release/renew the ip it will assign the same one.

there is no way to change it turning it over will only stand a small chance of working if you leave it off for a month or more and then you are likely to get the same IP back anyway
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 9 of 11 (310 Views)

[ Edited ]

My IP address did change, but it took several years to do so.  I can't remember the one I had.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 11 (266 Views)

The Dynamic part of DHCP means that a network device can change it's configuration automatically depending on the network it's connecting to.  In that sense it can and does change.

However when you are connected to the same network there are actually mechanisms in place that try and make sure the network configuration does not drop.

1. DHCP leases - These are granted for a set period, be it an hour, 24 hours, or in the case of the Virgin Network for 7 days.  Even with an hourly lease, you'd find that the network address does not change at the end of that hour.  That's because devices regularly negotiate an extension of the lease time.

2. Client preferred addresses.  A DHCP client can keep a record of the last IP address it's used, and when it reconnects to the network, can ask to receive the same address back.  Provided the address is available, a DHCP server can honour that request.  In fact there are advantages to do this, as if the lease does somehow expire (although unlikely it can happen), if it can get the same address back when asking for a new lease it can carry on with the previous network task without interrupting the connection.

So while Dynamic addresses can change - they don't have to.  In fact I have a couple of devices on my network set up with DHCP reservation.  They still get their addresses dynamically, but the server will always give them the same address.

Compare this to a Static address, where the address is added to the device manually.  If you take the device to a new network, you have to manually reconfigure the device in order to connect.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.